2005 Honda 20 HP - water leak in motor!

billyb33

Cadet
Ran the ol' trusty Honda on the muffs today and noticed water leaking out of this hole! Guess it explains the rusty screw heads around it. Anyone know what would cause this or is it missing a screw there? Still runs great. Lol

Attachments

• photo257744.jpg
    photo257744.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257745.jpg
    photo257745.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1

wrench 3

Commander
I think that you have a water jacket cover that's perforated from corrosion. But do you have a model and serial number.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Water leaks are generally due to bad gaskets, worst if OB is salt water used, never flushed with fresh water after use. Gasket's bolts that deals with water passages needs to be re torqued to factory specs after break in period has ended and occasionally from time to time...

Happy Boating

billyb33

Cadet
No Title

Thank you for the replies fellas. This motor has saw its fair share of salt from the previous owner.

I think that you have a water jacket cover that's perforated from corrosion. But do you have a model and serial number.

I believe this is the model and serial number. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo257769.jpg
    photo257769.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander
Apparently you have a flush valve at the inside end of that hole.There is a spring that holds the valve in place, that could be deteriorated. The valve itself could be in bad shape or the gasket between the valve and the cover could be bad.
You need to remove the cover and see what's going on in there.

w2much

Lieutenant
I have the same motor with the same issue. It is a faulty flush valve. I just plugged mine with a bolt as I would not flush the motor from inside the cowling. Not a great Honda idea in my opinion.

billyb33

Cadet
No Title

I took off the plastic cover and this rusty thing is what I found. Looked to be a thermostat. Is this the flush valve?

Attachments

• photo258598.jpg
    photo258598.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1

wrench 3

Commander
I took off the plastic cover and this rusty thing is what I found. Looked to be a thermostat. Is this the flush valve?

No, that is the thermostat.(it may be a good time to change it) The flush valve should be in the hole directly above it. Is there anything on the cover?

w2much

Lieutenant
If you do not use the flush device. Guessing you do not as you did not know what the hole was. Plug it with and appropriate size bolt. As wrench said probably a good time to change out your tstat . Might run that engine in some salt away also, it looks a bit nasty in there.

wrench 3

Commander
That explains why you had a leak.:rolleyes:
I'm thinking like w2much. Drill, tap and plug the hole. You could tap for a bolt, file the surface flat and put a washer under the bolt head. Or use a pipe tap and put in a pipe plug. But don't over tighten the plug or you may split the boss.

billyb33

Cadet
That explains why you had a leak.:rolleyes:
I'm thinking like w2much. Drill, tap and plug the hole. You could tap for a bolt, file the surface flat and put a washer under the bolt head. Or use a pipe tap and put in a pipe plug. But don't over tighten the plug or you may split the boss.

So if you plug the hole where does the water go?