2002 Honda BF 225 VTEC - Dying when turning left, while on step.

bupbup777

Cadet
I have a Honda BF 225 VTEC, as stated above. It dies when on step and we turn to the left. (Sometimes when leaning to hard on the left side of the boat) When we are turning to the right or driving straight it will run smoothly with full power.

Is there something that can cause it to die like that, perhaps a vacuum level that is not working properly? Something that will kill the power to the motor when it is laying sideways, meant for shiping perhaps? A safety feature?

hunter200524

Seaman Apprentice
Not a honda guy, but have you checked your oil level? Mabye it has a oil level sensor?

bupbup777

Cadet
Would that effect the boat when turning somehow?
If I recall, It had a new oil change.

bupbup777

Cadet
Anymore questions that might help me solve this issue?
Anything I can test, before bring it to a local Mechanic?

bupbup777

Cadet
Not since the oil was changed/topped off this summer.
Assuming the oil is to high, or low. How would possibly effect the engine when turning to the left?

hunter200524

Seaman Apprentice
Oil is a fluid it will splash from left to right. If it is low and there is a oil maybe you are losing oil pressure or there is a level switch. Like I said i dont know hondas, but it wouldnt hurt to check being you said it was just changed throws up a red flag. Its not hard to check.

bupbup777

Cadet
My motor and skiff is buried under snow at the moment.
I am looking at possible things to look at before I bring it to a mechanic.
Is there any other advice of things to consider? That might cause this issue?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check the oil level before taking it to the boat doctor. Some Hondas do have an oil level sensor and it is on the side of the crankcase, so a turning boat leaning to one side can trigger the save the motor mode.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Check the oil level before taking it to the boat doctor. Some Hondas do have an oil level sensor and it is on the side of the crankcase, so a turning boat leaning to one side can trigger the save the motor mode.

Pressurized system. No oil level sensor.

No idea what side of your boat is left. Is it port or starboard side?

When was the last time you drained the onboard fuel filter/water seperator?

Last edited:

bupbup777

Cadet
Port when turning is when it starts to sputter and wants to die.
Regarding the fuel filter/water separator. where is it located, the High Pressure fuel separator?
If so, we changed it last summer. Other filters seems clear if I recall correctly.

bupbup777

Cadet
Anyone else have any idea's?
It's almost time to put it in the water again. I'd like to try find what is wrong soon as the snow melts.

NastyWendy

Recruit
The high pressure fuel pump is fed from the right side of the VST. If you have a problem not having the right fuel level/amount in the VST it could starve the fuel pump ESPECIALLY when turn left leaning the boat away from the fuel supply passages for the pump.