40 hp nissan outboard

Jerry Wayne

Recruit
I acquired a 40 hp nissan 2 stroke motor. It was froze up but I got it running. I need to know how to find out what year model it is. I found serial # 66478 but can't find model #. Its an older motor just don't know how old. Want to get an impeller for it

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Post pics of both powerhead sides to have a look. That model has not varied much over the years, a Tohatsu 40C impeller should fit.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Year of manufacture is irrelevant. There should be a metalized mylar label that has the model and serial. Since you have the serial but not model, I assume you got the serial from a soft plug? You definitely do not have a TLDI, so model options are NS40C, NS40D, or NS40D2. The C is a 2-cylinder, the D/D2 is a 3-cylinder. Never replace just the impeller if a full wp kit is available. There is a complete wp kit for each, but they are unique -- one kit fits the 2-cylinder, another one fits the 3-cylinder. You can call Tohatsu America at 214 420 6440 next week (they are moving the warehouse this week), and they may be able to help you figure approximate date of manufacture from the serial number.