BF50 Leaks fuel out of top of carb.

mscher

Lieutenant
PIcked one up an an estate sale, certainly has not run in years, since mice were really at home in there. It looked like it had almost never been used.

Cleaned it up and it starts good,but gas dribbles out of the vent hole on the top of the carb.

I'll rebuild it later but for now I'dj ust like to get that leak stopped. Want to test it on the lake this weekend then winterize.

Any ideas?

pvanv

Admiral
It;s not a leak. The carb is flooding. Fix the needle/seat and that issue will go away.

mscher

Lieutenant
Run in tank so far.

dismantled the carb and cleaned the sticky needle valve and grubby float bowl. Stopped leaking but now does not want to idle, unless choke is at least half on. Will run in tank if throttle is up a bit.

Any ideas? How about seafoam?

pvanv

Admiral
Clean the carb correctly. Seafoam works about as well as a magic wand. Ranked up there with the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

jabrown88

Cadet
I had this problem on my bf90a, but it was the bottom carb. (Not the first time) it a stuck float. Sometimes if you pump the fuel bulb to high it will stick it as well. Don't as me why. If it happens on the water disconnect the fuel line from the motor, run it dry, and then hook it back up. 9 times out of 10 it will clear the gunk and sit correctly. If not you have to clear the obstriction. Since adding a fuel stabilizer/ethanol reducer I haven't had the problem