Continuous idle adjustment problem while riding

hamdiesin

Recruit
My engine is a 6HP Tohatsu 2012.Starts perfectly with 3 pulls max but surges immediatelly and I have to lower the idle speed.Then I run on forward gear for a while and when return to idle it still surges on high speed,so I have to lower idle again.Any idea on what this problem is?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Is it a 2 or 4 strokes OB ? Seems a carb clean to immaculate condition is needed...

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Model/serial is critical; year is irrelevant. You probably have an MFS6C. Odds are the idle circuit is clogged, and the idle stop has been adjusted too high to compensate for that. A Proper cleaning (not just a spray) and the carb will probably run a lot better. In the future, alway run the carb out at the end of each and every day, or drain it with the drain screw.

hamdiesin

Recruit
Model/serial is critical; year is irrelevant. You probably have an MFS6C. Odds are the idle circuit is clogged, and the idle stop has been adjusted too high to compensate for that. A Proper cleaning (not just a spray) and the carb will probably run a lot better. In the future, alway run the carb out at the end of each and every day, or drain it with the drain screw.

Thanks pvanv.
İt is a MFS6B - 3R4.Serial number 000806AX

pvanv

Admiral
The carb for the 6B is more reliable, and runs better at slow speeds than the one for the 6C (it is for an earlier EPA rating), so I would definitely do a Proper carb cleaning, and then re-check the setup.

w2much

Lieutenant
Had the same issue on mine. pvanv's advice is right on the money. Proper is the key word.