Best place to purchase prop

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One to many dings in my prop.4 stroke 30 hp efi. Any body know best place to purchase oem replacement? Cost? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OEM replacement would be thru the honda dealer near you.

if you want a replacment, iBoats sells props

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
HD has a Tohatsu, right ? if wanting same OEM prop, check any Tohatsu dealer. If wanting other alternative prop brand as Solas, Michigan check Iboats. Was current factory delivered prop pitch a good performer, if so, buy same, if not, it's the correct time for a prop maximization, usually a less prop pitch.

Happy Boating

jbcurt00

Staff member
Iboats sells props

Would you call Pepsi and ask where to by a Coke?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Nope, don't drink sodas, too much sugar added which makes you fat. Going to the point : Although Iboats sells nice props, it's not known if a Solas or other brand prop will match 100% a OEM prop known peformance. Most times there's slight prop variations that dials different wot rpm with same pitch as many have sadly found out after a badly investment.

Only OP can tell if satisfied with his current OEM prop perforrmance, if so, why experiment with other brands replacements and have possible isssues with. We're talking about good investment wise along same prop performance as with current factory delivered prop.

Happy Boating

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
present prop is 9.9 X11. TB 49 11. these numbers are on the prop itself. im unable to find this prop on websites. any input to were i can actually buy this same prop? performance is more then adequate with this prop. tohatsu is stamped on it. thanks

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
since i do have a torque wrench, what is torque setting for the nut? is there one?

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Grease the splines before putting on the new prop. Get the prop nut snug then adjust to line up the cotter key. Insert new cotter key.

I wouldn't have any problem buying a non-OEM prop. Just get it from a good source (both manufacturer and supplier). I bought my last ones on iboats.

pvanv

Admiral
Yes. Good idea to clean everything, and make sure the brass thrust bushing (between the prop and the LU) isn't too corroded onto the ss shaft. You can usually (gently) pry it off. Use lots of grease on everything, and snug the prop down with a ratchet or similar (while keeping a block of wood between the prop blades and the antiventilation plate to hold it from turning), then maybe 1/12th of a turn more to get the cotter hole in the shaft and the slots in the castile nut aligned.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
HD,

You're running a short or long shaft OB ? When you say water performance is adequate, is OB running al min, middle or max factory wot rpm range as currently loaded ? Running adequate does not means OB is running top opt. Do you have an induction tach installed on that 30 ? If so, which was your max wot rpm achieved on flat calm, no wind water cond.

Tohatsu recommends after break in period has ended to tach current OB on current application as usually loaded and dial a prop pitch for OB to rev inside ideal middle to max wot rpm.

Happy Boating

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
wot 1 person. old prop. 5500 rpm. she starts to porpoise at optimum trim. back off throttle or i trim in. judge trim angle by wake coming of boat. if i put a person up front no porpoise. so i guess the prop is ok. it is a 1648 jon boat. it will hit 27 mph w/ 2 people. where can i send old prop for repair?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
HD,

At 5500 wot rpm while 1 is up, OB is revving close to the min 5250 wot rpm range. If boating with more than one often, rpm will drop dramatically into the lugging red zone which is bad for the OB. In that case better go for one less (10) pitch OEM prop or repitch current 11 prop to 10, will pull wot rpm higher, will achieve better hole shot and transport more boaters, extra load when in need.

According to prop chart you should be running a 9.8 x 11 prop pitch instead than stated 9.9 x 11 prop, right ?

If OB sits at the sweet trasom height, trimed at 90?, as if having a fixed manual trim and propped right, should not have porposing issues, unless jon boats have rear hull issues that produces so.

Know is a PITA to dial sweet OB transom height while powered with a Tohatsu OB, but once matched along a prop maximation will be able to get the max out of that combo. Check prop shops in your location for rebuild or repitch.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
installed new prop. was amazed at how easy the nut broke loose. counted turns, installed new prop snugged up, then lined up cotter pin.is it really suppose to be that loose?

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
What is "loose"? It should be snug but doesn't have to be torqued much more because the splines do all the work, and the cotter key keeps it from loosening any.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
installed new prop. was amazed at how easy the nut broke loose. counted turns, installed new prop snugged up, then lined up cotter pin.is it really suppose to be that loose?

Adjust nut tight with hand, lock prop against lower anticav plate with a wooden piece, with wrench turn nut CW till next prop shaft hole is plainly seen, insert cotter pin, pin must be aligned at middle nut cut, bend and voil?. It's normal for the prop shaft to have a slight side play when pushed in/out, but prop locked on shaft, should not. BTY, the new porp is same OEM size/pitch or compatible other brand prop ?

Happy Boating