Tilt on Nissan starting to fail?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1992 Nissan 70 H.P motor with a tilt control on it. It goes up with no problem at all, and it just started this yesterday, but I had a problem getting the motor to go down. I can hear the tilt click in when I push the down button, but it seems like it is just dead. goes up, but not down, then after I kept clicking it to go down, all of a sudden it will go down until I let go of the button then it seems to freeze again until I push the button 5 or 6 times then it will go down again. Is there hydraulic fluid in the motor that needs to be refilled maybe? how do I check the fluid level if it has a fluid in it?

pvanv

Admiral
Sounds like you need to check/clean all wiring connections, especially at the Down solenoid. Lack of fluid would prevent tilting up -- not down.

iggyw1

Sounds like you need to check/clean all wiring connections, especially at the Down solenoid. Lack of fluid would prevent tilting up -- not down.

Makes sense to me. I will check out the wires and the solenoid to see if I am getting contact there.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Clean all ground contacts to immaculate shine cond as well, poor grounds gives tricky electrical issues..

Happy Boating

iggyw1

Clean all ground contacts to immaculate shine cond as well, poor grounds gives tricky electrical issues..

Happy Boating

I believe I found the two selenoids for up and down. I saw somewhere on the internet that the up selonoid has a blue wire and down solenoid has a green wire. My wires are blue on one and dark brown on the other. Wires are very clean so I do not think the brown one is actually green. Is there suppose to be a green wire on one of the selenoids?

iggyw1

UPDATE: I found the part that I need, and pvanv you are correct, the wire is pink and blue. The part I need is the solenoid switch for the down tilt trim. The part number is 3C7725901. The cost is $100. The switch solenoid for mostly ALL other motors is about $15-$20. I am wondering if I can get away with lets say a Johnson Evinrude or a Mercury solenoid switch for the down tilt trim on my 70 H.P. Nissan motor. All the switch sys on it as 12 volt. It has two small wires built into it and two connections for little bigger wires from my tilt trim motor to be connected, the same as other selenoid switches that I see on line. Would are your thoughts guys?

iggyw1

OK guys, One last update: I found the exact part I need with the exact part number for the relay solenoid that I need for $11.23 for one. I ordered two of them as someone told me they should be replaced in pairs since they are connected together, and keep the old one as a spare. What a difference in price from the price that I received from my local Nissan/Tahatsu dealer. LOL It is actually being sold by Amazon from a water sports store that sells thru Amazon. The solenoid is used on a starter for a 70-80 & 90 H.P. jet ski, and it is the same solenoid that I need for the tilt trim on my Nissan motor. I am almost absolutely positive that the solenoid is the problem that I am having. I can hear it clicking but the motor will not go up until I hit the switch 6-7 times, then it takes off and works. Every time I let go of the swich button, I have to hit it again 6 times or so.