2003 Nissan NS5B Outboard 5HP

ajcampbell31

Cadet
I bought a boat and it came with a Nissan 5HP NS5B engine. After looking at the bracket, it's not the same one that came with the engine. Not sure what it is from, but it's not the right one. After looking at a few sites, it looks like I can build the bracket for a pretty penny of $600, which I don't want to spend considering that I only paid $600 for the boat, trailer, and engine.

Where would be a good place to find one already assembled, and a lot less than $600. I am located in Kissimmee, Fl.

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you talking about the stern/clamp brackets (left & right) that clamp it to the transom? If so, $600 is crazy. Those brackets have a suggested retail of around $60 each, so about $120 for both left & right clamp brackets.

ajcampbell31

Cadet
Are you talking about the stern/clamp brackets (left & right) that clamp it to the transom? If so, $600 is crazy. Those brackets have a suggested retail of around $60 each, so about $120 for both left & right clamp brackets.

Not just the brackets, the entire assembly. Brackets, nuts botls, pins, locks...the whole ball of wax.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
did you check ebay? Some guy in FL was parting out a 6hp motor, he might still have the brackets. I got the recoil and some carb parts

pvanv

Admiral
I bought a boat and it came with a Nissan 5HP NS5B engine. After looking at the bracket, it's not the same one that came with the engine. Not sure what it is from, but it's not the right one. After looking at a few sites, it looks like I can build the bracket for a pretty penny of $600, which I don't want to spend considering that I only paid $600 for the boat, trailer, and engine.

Where would be a good place to find one already assembled, and a lot less than $600. I am located in Kissimmee, Fl.
What makes you say that it's not the right bracket, and what is the problem?
You should be able to get a whole 5B 2-stroke for $600. They are quite obsolete in North America.

ajcampbell31

Cadet
What makes you say that it's not the right bracket, and what is the problem?
You should be able to get a whole 5B 2-stroke for $600. They are quite obsolete in North America.

The bracket doesn't fit properly and looks completely different from the OEM bracket. It works for the intended purpose, but I would like to have the right one on the engine.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This is a new 2 strokes 5B OB, hor much differes from what you have ?

Tohatsu 5 HP.jpg

Happy Boating

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
In addition to looking around for a used Nissan 5B for the brackets, also check on Tohatsu models and Mercury models. Tohatsu made the Nissan models and all parts are identical. They also make smaller Merc's and I would assume the brackets would be identical as well.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Used to have a Mariner 5B model, was same excact clone of my actual Tohatsu 5B in use.

Happy Boating

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd still be curious to see/know how someone put a completely different bracket on the current motor. Seems like it would have taken a lot of modifications to make it work. Any chance you could upload some pictures of the current bracket?

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
This is currently listed on Ebay: [h=1]Nissan 5hp Long Shaft Only - No Motor- From Model NS5B 1998-1999 98-99[/h] Seems like it has all the parts you'd need, and then some. Right now is $150+shipping

ajcampbell31

Cadet
No Title

I'd still be curious to see/know how someone put a completely different bracket on the current motor. Seems like it would have taken a lot of modifications to make it work. Any chance you could upload some pictures of the current bracket?

Attachments

• photo251679.jpg
    photo251679.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251680.jpg
    photo251680.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0

ajcampbell31

Cadet
This is currently listed on Ebay: [h=1]Nissan 5hp Long Shaft Only - No Motor- From Model NS5B 1998-1999 98-99[/h] Seems like it has all the parts you'd need, and then some. Right now is $150+shipping

That is actually exactly what I am looking for. Will bookmark it, thanks for looking!

pvanv

Admiral
I have no idea what Frankenstein did that, but you are 100% right. That bracket is NOT for the Tohatsu/Nissan 4/5/6 motor. Looks very similar to the bracket on a mid-1970's Chrysler (west bend) air-cooled 3.6 hp ob I once owned. The bracketing for any 4-stroke 4/5/6 or any 5 hp 2-stroke will fit your motor correctly, although there were different paint colors. Blue is oldest (1980's), then grey (into 2000's), and finally the bluish-black of today.

ajcampbell31

Cadet
I have no idea what Frankenstein did that, but you are 100% right. That bracket is NOT for the Tohatsu/Nissan 4/5/6 motor. Looks very similar to the bracket on a mid-1970's Chrysler (west bend) air-cooled 3.6 hp ob I once owned. The bracketing for any 4-stroke 4/5/6 or any 5 hp 2-stroke will fit your motor correctly, although there were different paint colors. Blue is oldest (1980's), then grey (into 2000's), and finally the bluish-black of today.

I'm not sure either. I know the current setup works, the guy I bought it from used it like this for a while. I've tested the motor, had it up and down, side to side and it holds just fine. I'm likely to replace the motor with a 10HP in the very near future so I may just run it as she is and take the money I would use for the racket and just put it with the money for a new or used motor.

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for posting some pics! That's funny! Someone definitely did some modifications to get that thing to work. Paul is right, Dr. Frankenstein must have been involved.

ajcampbell31

Cadet
So I took the boat out on the lake today, it's the first time this motor has seen water in a while...well the bracket did fine, but it seems that I will need to rebuild the carb or replace the carb..I'm leaning more towards replace since I don't know if anything in the carb is broken and that's why it's not running or just dirty as hell and that's why...there is a $20 difference between a rebuild kit and a new carb.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Probably just dirty. If you get a new one though, check on here and get the 6 HP version. Fits the same 4/5/6 HP engines and will give you a little more 'oomph' to that motor. Pvanv has posted the exact part number to order to make sure you get the best running one (later revs have more epa limitations)

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
The current 4/5/6 models are 4 strokes. The model the OP has is a 2-stroke 5hp. Don't think the carbs from a 4/5/6 4-stroke will work for his 2-stroke.