Tohatsu 50 hp 2 stroke outboard

Eugene L.

Recruit
Hi there,
I have 1996 Tohatsu 50hp 2 stroke motor on my MacGregor 26 sail boat... I am not the first owner but so far motor was running just fine, and with not a lot of hours as it is on a sail boat...
Well, suddenly it starts to overheat on neutral or under low RPM's, with water not coming from water check port on the back right side of the motor, however it seems to be OK on higher RPM's.
What would you recommend? any sketch or step-by-step instruction in case of repair will help!

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

It sounds like the impeller is on it's last legs. That's where I would start. And get a manual to cover the rest of the the normal periodic maintenance.

Get ready for spam sent to your email and to your phone. It is not a good idea to post personal info in any open forum.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How do you know if it's an overheat cond at idle speed running at neutral or not ? Assume that 50 was used its entire previously life and now with new owner in salt water, right ? Probably has never had a complete water pump kit installed ? Begin checking so. "Seems runss OK on higher revs" means that peeing port is peeing well with good outside water squirt ?

Other issue about OB's highly used on salt water is that they tend to collect salt layers even salt crusts inside water paths and labyrinths, peeing could become null or erratic, OB does not cools well, works at higher temp than should. Remove OB from sailboat, put it on a stand, that's on land, flush it with Salt Away Product as indicated, hope that can remove most of the internal salt formation that inevitably occurs yes or yes.

The only way to remove 100% salt layer inside formations, large crusts is mechanically, must disassemble cylinder head, thermostst and exhaust cover and scrape all water passages to immaculate clean condition. Will need new gaskets for those..

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Eugene,

First thing to understand when servicing a Tohatsu outboard is that the Model/Serial is the critical identifier; Year means nothing. I am assuming you have an M50D or M50D2, not an MD50 TLDI.

Assuming that it pees OK at higher speeds, but not near idle, the water pump impeller is (as GA_Boater noted) probably nearly shot. I would recommend you get a Factory service manual from any Tohatsu dealer (not an aftermarket manual), and see if replacing the water pump kit looks like something you can handle. 90% of boaters can do that job without going to the $100/hour costs of service shops.. If it seems plausible, order a water pump kit (not just the impeller) and have at it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Eugene
Removed the ph# and email from your post.

If members contact you directly, all the info/help you get isnt a resource for others, which is the point of a public forum.

Welcome to iboats