9.8 Nissan 4 stroke ...red light

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure where to go with this problem...thanks in advance for the help..
9.8 4 stroke only about 3 hours at most on the engine.....
I try to crank it every few weeks to keep it running well and today when I cranked it and began to let it idle.....after about 30 seconds the red light came on.....
I shut it down and waited a few ...and checked the oil.....although it's hard to see the level because the oil is new and the dipstick is new.....I am pretty sure the level is almost to the top of the hatch marks.....
The water tell tale is streaming water in a good stream......
Is there any way to test to see what's going on?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are you running OB on muffs, barrel for testing ? if so, probably idle rpm is bit low, while lamp goes off when rpm are increased not an issue. Run combo on water and check if doing same, check oil level prior going for a spin.

If doing same, probably a faulty oil switch, if with warranty, let dealer check it.

Happy Boating

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks....appreciate your time...using muffs
could the oil pump be defective?.....is there an oil pressure test port on the engine that you know of?

pvanv

Admiral
The oil light comes on below about 4 psi. Yes, you can remove the sender and install a mechanical gauge to determine whether you have a bad sender (or bad CDI box) or actual low pressure. If you are over full you can get aeration, which can lead to low oil pressure. With so few hours, you are probably in warranty. See your dealer under warranty. Have worked on hundreds of these motors, and have never seen a bad oil pump. What oil are you running? Are you able to reproduce the LED coming on when at idle? Does it go out above idle?

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Paul...
I AM at the top of the hatch marks.....so aeration may be the culprit.......will drain a little oil out and see if the light goes off.....
Otherwise will test with gauge and see what psig is....
The oil is the correct viscosity and the correct spec as far as that goes....I checked my owners manual before hand....
Thank you very much for the advice....
Will let you and all know what I can find out.....
I'm a long way from a dealer and dont think too much of them...they lied to me last time I took them some work........

dthx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the ideas.....they lead me to think about my problem for a while....ruling out the oil pump ...I took the oil level down a notch.....while doing that I noticed that the engine was tipped up slightly in the first position........I unlocked it and let the motor come to a more vertical position and upon starting...I had no more warning light problems.....aeration was probably the culprit...
So many thanks for the help....Case Closed !