E10 Survey.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
SeaRider, I said "much less likely", not "you won't". I'm not refuting at all that there are still issues. There could be a lot of reasons why some newer parts are still or more susceptible to Ethanol. Changing a vendor to save a few $$ and not completing long term tests to get to market happens all too often.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Incorrect. Tohatsu always made all Nissans. They make all Mercury motors 30 hp and below, and the also make all Evinrude motors 20 hp and below. That is well known... by those in the know. If you are talking about a larger merc, that could be a yamaha power head.
I am still wondering why you think My mercury is made by Tohatsu.
Your Merc is made by Tohatsu

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Bruce,

Post interior both side crankcase's pics of your current OB, that way will know if Merc made or Tohatsu rebadged...? The post about E fuels seems has turned very controversial, to each his own particular idea on the matter LOL!!

Happy Boating

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My boat is 2 hours away but it is common knowledge that the 75/90/115 4 stroke was made by Yamaha until around 2008 or so. Yamaha even made some of the small Mercury 4 strokes when they first came out with them. Even the diagnostic adapter for my Rinda scanner is for a Yamaha. I also can not connect smartcraft gauges made by Mercury. All electronics is Yamaha

Google is your friend.

As far as E10, 99% of people in the USA and Canada have no issue with it and the 1% that do probably don't have a problem either because it's in their heads. You probably have really crappy fuel in Peru.

BTW, my best friend is a chemical engineer for Chevron. He says the ethanol problems are way overblown as well and they do not have corrosion issues.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The post about E fuels seems has turned very controversial, to each his own particular idea on the matter

They always do. The actual energy content decrease (for E10) is really insignificant and can be mostly compensated for by either increasing compression or advancing ignition timing (or both)

In practice the difference in economy is nearly unmeasurable by the average person driving down the road. In a boat, the difference is within the experimental accuracy of the gages. (speed, fuel flow, fuel used etc)

There are still pretty good arguments on (right or wrong, both sides of) the political aspects of why we continue to use ethanol blends in motor fuels but it's really not relevant here because none of can do anything about it and even discussing it gets some so riled up that the Mods have to put the brakes on the discussion (and rightly so)

SO, suffice it to say that the vast majority of us have used it for more than 20 years with no ill effects.

It makes me think that when anyone reports fuel related problems, they //MAY// have other problems and they are just blaming it on the fuel.

There's never a shortage of opinions.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Gee, seems that I'm expressing myself in other foreign language. By having personal E isssues, I'm not complaining about OB's working bad, with poor performance, or having corrosion issues. Works spot on, only stating proven faster deterioration with "rubber" and some plastic parts.

This post was a punctual Tohatsu one inquiring if somebody else owning a Tohatsu has same posted "E listed issues" which have been ignored olimpically and associated with other brands OB's for which can't speak for. One thing 101% for sure is that our local E8 content is real crap with carbed OB's.

OTOH you guys are real champs changing just about everything that comes in kits, due to round the corner availability which don't have and that makes a world of difference when in need to change parts that are lasting way less. If I'm the oly one having E issues, well that's bad luck...

Happy Boating

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Sea Rider

You bring this subject up frequently, and it always ends in the same way, you insist you have issues in your country with E-10, and those in the US report little to no issues (we're talking small boats with smaller fuel tanks). There are issues with ethanol, but for the most part in this country it appears we can work with it, my Merc/Tohatsu small motor has no issues with E-10, at least not in the last couple of decades of use, neither do my other bigger Mercs and Evinrudes, nor do my friends have many issues with it. If you have so many issues in your country, then, as I've said before, something is different between the two places.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
This post was a punctual Tohatsu one inquiring if somebody else owning a Tohatsu has same posted "E listed issues" which have been ignored olimpically and associated with other brands OB's for which can't speak for. One thing 101% for sure is that our local E8 content is real crap with carbed OB's.
Hmm. I thought I answered your point directly and "spot on"

I am usually not in the habit of quoting myself....but here goes.....
I have a 2004 Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke. Bought it new for my Zodiac Zoom.
All I have EVER used is E-10. I run it dry every time I put it away. Last time it sat for 2 years before I ran it again (a couple of weeks ago)
2 or 3 squeezes on the bulb, pull the choke, 2 pulls on the rope, starts right up!!
It's done this for the 12 odd years I have owned it.

My point was I did all this without using any fuel "stabilizers" so it was all E10. didn't cause a problem.
I know more than a few people with similar experiences.

The above might lead me and others reading this thread to conclude that low percentage ethanol based fuels are NOT problematic in outboard motors .
Esspecially Nissan/Tohatsu

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To say that your OB as well as mine starts first. second pull has nothing to do with this post, this is not the issue. To end this endless conversation at least on my part, will say that If you haven't disassembled a Tohatsu fuel pump rubber diaphragm, rubber o'rings located inside fuel filter sitting or running on E fuels for say 100-200 worked hours will see that if removed won't fit again from where once removed, will be estretched, ballooned.

Better yet soak a new rubber diaphragm in E fuel for some days compare it to another new one and will talk latter. Or better yet, remove yours and check if remains plain flat as when using non E fuels. As we say "One swallow doen't make a summer" can't speak in behalf for all Tohatsu owners...

You are throwing all Tohatsu OB's on same basket, are missing the point that not all of them have rubber diaphragms inside their fuel pumps, some have mylar made that E8-10 doesn't affect al all.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
My Merc/Tohatsu carb looked no different than any other carb I've pulled off an outboard in the last 50 years, the fuel pump looked about the same too.

E-10 for the last 25 years, and E-0 prior to that. So yes, plenty of examples with both fuels.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If you haven't disassembled a Tohatsu fuel pump rubber diaphragm, rubber o'rings located inside fuel filter sitting or running on E fuels for say 100-200 worked hours will see that if removed won't fit again from where once removed, will be estretched, ballooned.

Better yet soak a new rubber diaphragm in E fuel for some days compare it to another new one and will talk latter. Or better yet, remove yours and check if remains plain flat as when using non E fuels. As we say "One swallow doen't make a summer" can't speak in behalf for all Tohatsu owners...
Not sure I am missing the "point" if there is one. If I disassembled the fuel pump, fuel filter or carburetor after the 12 YEARS I have owned it, I would just replace whatever components that needed it.

I wouldn't ever expect to put them back together after that long and if they have lasted this long running E10 type gasoline, I am confident that the they've not been "damaged" by it.

AND, if they've lasted this long, I would say they've been unaffected by the stuff too, since that's all I have used. ..... I also don't think I am unique or lucky.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
OK guys - Haven't all the bases been covered?

We can start again in the next fuel thread.

Closed without predjudice.

Status
Not open for further replies.