Nissan NS50D runs great then very rough at full throttle

EOT52

Recruit
Hello all and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. I apologize for the length of this. A little recent history with my 1999 3 cylinder. I've had the assistance of a retired boat mechanic thru all of this.

Early this year - difficult to start, might fire off once after hour or two of trying. Removed from slip, took to mechanics shop. Carbs removed, cleaned, fresh gas, kill switch bypassed, put back in water, still no fire, mechanic replaced ignition switch, still no fire. Replaced CD unit, started right up, ran a little rough at idle (replaced plugs) and ran fairly well at full throttle but still wouldn't run out at what I would call full speed (5000+ rpm).

July 4 weekend - Took boat out and ran up to full throttle (would only get to 4500 rpm) for about 100 yards and engine started running extremely (violently rough, shook the boat) (like it had dropped a cylinder) but after 30 seconds it straightened up but repeated this cycle consistently for over an hour until I returned to slip. Mechanic suggested a coil pack may be cutting out once hot so I ordered one. In neutral, engine revs fine and up to 6000+ rpm with no issues. Doesn't seem to exhibit the same condition as when under a load.

This week I replaced each coil one at a time until I went thru each coil and there was no change in performance.

​I run only no ethanol gas. I've spent several hundred dollars this year. I've owned this motor and the pontoon boat it's on for 10 years. Getting close to the point of finishing life out without a boat. Very frustrated.

EOT52

Recruit
Took the boat out a few minutes ago and seems to run fairly well continuously at 4000 rpm but if at any point you ask more from it it will start missing violently and then smooth back out and repeat until you back of the throttle to 4000 or less rpm.

Anyone think it could be a sticking float?

pvanv

Admiral
Just guessing and replacing parts based on hunches is the most expensive way to repair an old outboard. Never ever rev an unloaded motor to 6000 rpm -- you risk blowing it up. Your motor has a WOT RPM of 5000 to 5700. Has the link and sync been verified? You may very well still have fuel system problems. Were the carbs completely disassembled for cleaning? What method was used to clean them? How did the diaphragms, etc., of fuel pump of the the lower carb look? Were they replaced? What does the fuel filter look like?

EOT52

Recruit
Thanks Paul, I'll heed your advice and talk to my mechanic to see how far he went into the carbs.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Seems a head gasket issue, was that toon used on salt or fresh water ? try retorquing head gasket to specs with a torque wrench. Gasket due to its age could already be dried, hardened, cracked, lets small water droplets inside combustion chamber and OB starts missing at wot till throttle is backed...

The only way to check head gasket cond is removing head once removed could find a box full of surprises.. If OB is over revving add a extra boating mate to lower max wot revs, tach will show

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Retorque to specs, head gasket, side exhaust cover & gaskets and lower crankcase gasket as well.

Happy Boating