2000 honda 15hp oil light question

slim0ner

Recruit
Hi All, I have a problem that I am trying to figure out. before i changed the oil, I noticed that the green light would not stay on and figured there was an oil issue. I changed the oil as recommended to 1.2qts. first start the green light came on and then shut off in a couple of seconds. After that it seems to only stay on at high rpm. The second I lower the rpm it shuts off. What do you think the issue is and how do I fix this? I did notice some oil dripped out from the foot near the prop and the little hole near the top foot oil plug but I am unsure if it's the old oil or the new oil. I checked the dip stick and it looks fine.

sam am I

Commander
Not knowing your year and assuming the design is the same, my 92 - 9.9BF uses a neon bulb for the oil pressure indicator that is wired through the CDI unit that derives its power off the exciter coil under the flywheel.

There is a oil pressure switch in series with the bulb and if the switch is opening due to low oil pressure, the light will go out.
31ZV4631_Page_077.jpg
My guess would be the switch is flaking out and/or the oil pressure is in fact getting too low and the switch is opening like it is suppose too to warn you. You could check the oil pressure with a gauge or throw money and get a new switch. Far chance it's the exciter voltage dropping out but the neon bulb does use around 90VAC derived through the CDI from the exciter coil

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Ooops, meant SN ^^^......But they all appear similar in that year electric start or pull