1999 M40D2 Automixing

pvanv

Admiral
Tohatsu America sells very good Hi-Lex cables. Great cable at intermediate price.

Greytfish

Cadet
This is the control cable I bought - Tohatsu Nissan Genuine OEM outboard motor part number HC49J96-14FT. I got 2 of them. Also bought new pin, washer, and cable joint. Bought a thermostat just in case.

Your right on the carbs. They are not broke so I will leave them alone.

Greytfish

Cadet
Hey Guys,
I've changed out the thermostat per the repair manual. The old one was a corroded mess! Now I've started on the cable job. I'm having trouble unscrewing the remote control box so I can attach the new cables. 2 of the 3 long mounting screws came out, and the third one is slowly coming out with corrosion spray. However the small screws holding the face on the box are giving me a fit. One of them is not responding to the penatrant spray and I'm afraid I will need to drill it out. Do you think drilling it out is a bad idea?

Darren

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is small side screws are a PITA to remove and penetrating oil has not done its homework right, drill just head out so to leave a small screw portion to apply more penetrating oil at base, let soak, unscrew portion with plier.

Happy Boating

Greytfish

Cadet
I got the control cables installed with no big problems. Thanks again for the advice.

Got a question on tilt and trim. I tried to tilt the motor up and it just made noise and did not move. So I took a screw driver and turned the manual screw. It gurgled a little and then I tightened it back up. I tried the tilt switch and the Motor moved like normal. Do you think the system is on its way out or is this ok?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Change hydraulic oil on tilt motor and fill to specs. Check if all is OK afterwords. Did you manged to remove the small control box screws ?

Happy Boating

Greytfish

Cadet
Actually no. I was tapping the longer bolt with a hammer and it, and the smaller screw next to it, separated from the back cover. Hard to explain but it wasn't a terrible thing and it all went back together fine and works fine.

Thanks for the advice on the tilt. I will give it a go.

I have a follow up question on the thermostat job I did.......while I had the thermostat out I could see into the engine and there is a bolt in there. All around that bolt was a build up of salt water corrosion. I wanted to chip it away, but was afraid of where the chunks would have ended up and the potential for the chunks to block up something. Was that a good decision?

Next job is the water pump!

Greytfish

Cadet
Hey Guys,

Where is the plug to fill the hydraulic fluid on the M40D2 tilt? I can't figure it out because to me it appears to be on the backside of the unit and not accessible without taking the motor off.

Thanks Darren

Greytfish

Cadet
Ahh yes the good ole owners manual. I was looking in the service manual this whole time. Thanks!

Greytfish

Cadet
What do I do if I have to deal with a stuck bolt on the water pump housing? Take my time and use lots of penetrating oil? I broke one off in my 25hp and just made a costly mistake.

pvanv

Admiral
Penetrating oil won't help much. If the aluminum is corroded into the threads of the ss bolt, it will be tough. Sometimes a cordless impact gun might help. Make sure your socket fits perfectly, so you don't round off the flats of the bolt head. When reinstalling those bolts, you can use antiseize on the threads.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Penetrating oil won't do a thing if bolt is stuck while water pump is still sitting at lower tail, can't reach lower jammed threads. As Paul recommends try an impact gun, if bolt breaks, usually won't break at lower threads, soak lower threads with brake fluid, remove broken bolt with a vise grip, if doesn't want to budge will need to heat it up a bit to release it.

Happy Boating

Greytfish

Cadet
What do you mean by lower tail? Also, the last time I broke one, it broke off in the hole. Had to be retapped. So I'm having trouble visualizing what I would grab on to with a vise grip.....thanks for the advice!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A vise grip will only work if there's sufficient bolt sticking out from thread (lower hole) that will only be possible to know when water pump is removed from "lower tail".. Luckily all bolts that have broken due to salt seizing when disassembling parts had large bolt portions to work with. Drilling a flat broken chunk out is a PITA.

Happy Boating