Tohatsu M50D2 strange idling problem

binarymizar

Recruit
Hi all. I`ve recently bought a s/h Terhi Big Fun fitted with a M50D2, 2006 model. Obviously I don`t know it`s history, but looks to be well cared for and in very good condition. My issue is this;
The engine starts, ticks over and runs fine. However, after its been given a run out on the water, various speeds, i reduce to idle and after a few seconds the motor dies. So I start it (having to use the starting throttle as it won`t start in idle) and it runs, but as soon as I put it in gear it dies again. This can happen 2 or 3 times and then it`ll start and be fine again, UNTIL the next time I reduce to idle after a run (usually just when you DON`T want it to die, like lining up for trailer retrieval!)
Any ideas? Just as a note, the tickover DOES seem to be very slow.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats.

Do you have an installed tack to check idle rpm ? Probably has to low rpm setting. As a starter adjust main idle screw CW to pull revs up till OB doesn't die when gearing forward, re adjust till than cond is achieved.

Happy Boating

binarymizar

Recruit
Cheers for that Sea Rider. Yes it has a tacho. I do suspect the idle is too slow and I think the first thing I`ll try is adjusting the overall idle rpm, the one that has an adjustable stop coming off the throttle control.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep that's right. Sometimes with use and OB vibration idle screw unscrews itself, usually apply a tiny glue drop on lower screw to lock it once idle rpm is adjusted right. Idle rpm for that 50D2 is 900 rpm.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
The idle stop screw is on the carburetor, not at the throttle control.

binarymizar

Recruit
Cheers for that Paul. Yes, I gathered the idle stop was on the carb, together with a lock nut.