2005 Honda 90HP 4stroke Stalls when I accelerate fast.

Invader05

Recruit
I have a 2005 90HP Honda that starts easy and idles great. Boat had gas drained, and now has fresh gas. If I take it for a spin and accelerate slowly, I have no problems with it...goes fast and motor purrs.. I'm having trouble pulling a wake boarder out of the water though...as soon as I throttle up, the motor stalls. I put it back in neutral, start it up..and no problems..sounds great. I can circle around to pick up my wake boarder....and the same thing happens...stalling rather than pulling them out. If I'm not trying to accelerate quickly, I can get to open throttle and the boat works great.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks in advance....I just bought this as my first boat/motor.

Invader05

Recruit
After another try....as long as I only accelerate 7/8ths of the way it doesn't stall...but if I go from 0 to 8/8 it stalls every time.

88Mako17A

Recruit
Hi Invader,

I have an '04 Honda '90 that had the same problem. I think it came from the engine sitting for too long. I took it in to a local shop and they rebuilt the carbs. The jets in the carbs got gummed up with old fuel. It was about a $400 fix, but it runs great now. The key is to run these carbed engines often.