1997 Nissan 18 horse no electric start

1970sears

Recruit
I have an 18 horse outboard on my pontoon. When I bought the pontoon back in March the previous owner fired it right up no problem. It sat in my yard up until a few weeks ago when I decided to put it in the lake for the season. Before we left I decided to just crank it over to make sure the battery had a charge, I turned the key and heard a faint click and nothing else. Turned the key again and not even a click. Checked battery with a meter and showed 12 volts but dropped to 0 with the key turned. Hooked up the battery to jumper cables and the car and it cranked. I had the pontoon trailer rented so we needed to get to the lake. On the way I picked up a new battery. Got to the lake put the new battery in. Again, a little click and then nothing. I took the battery out of my truck and jumpered it to the new battery in the boat. A little click and then nothing. I then pull-started the motor just to get it to the dock where I park it all summer, Brought the new battery home and charged it. Went back the next weekend and hooked it up. Same thing, little click. I don't know anything about outboards. The motor is so clean under the hood that it looks new. I can't see where there could be anything wrong. It's obviously somewhere in the starting sequence between the key and the motor. I don't know why it cranked the one time at home when it was jumpered to the car but won't crank now with a fully charged battery. Any ideas?????? I want to go fishing!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Need a bat of at least 40 AH, marine grade is preferable. Check bat cables to be in good working order, key mechanism makes good contact, solenoid and starter fully operational with shiny contacts. Same as with a car.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Check/clean all battery cable connections, from battery to solenoid, as well as ground. The click is the solenoid engaging. You could also have a bad solenoid or starter motor, but if you don't understand the basics of 12v starting systems (same as a car), then you should get help from a friend who does. BTW, 12v on a battery as practically dead. Fully charged is about 13.2 or more.