Honda BF5hp will not run on slow speed.

DanPower

Recruit
Good day

I have a BF5hp motor that will not idle down to slow speed when in the forward placement. The motor just spudders and cuts out. To restart the motor I would need to prime it again to get it to start. I just had this motor fully serviced and Honda claims they fixed the issue how ever it continues when using my gas tank. I am using new gas as well.

Question: Does anyone know if the gas tank has a inbound filter that might be clogged. Or something I can remove from the tank and repair myself?

Welcome to all suggestions.

Thank You

Dan Power

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your carburator is dirty, it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Most of the time the pickup in the tank does have a screen in it, although you will have to have a really dirty tank to clog that thing up, its only made to stop fairly large contaminents. If you put fresh gas into a contaminated fuel tank, it wont help, take the connector off the end of the fuel line and pump a sample into a clean container to evaluate. The passages in that small carb are soo small it doesnt take much to clog it up,

DanPower

Recruit
I have taken apart the carb, cleaned it, reinstalled it. Same issue. I also noticed that when the motor cuts out the bubble is soft. It gets enough fuel to run on medium to full speed flawlessly. But once I throttle back to slow to attempt some trolling it cuts out, as if it starves for gas at that point. If you still think it is carb related I will give that another go. Also at the shop they were not able to duplicate the issue with their tank hence why I was asking about the actual gas tank / line and if there were filters. It is like the motor starves for fuel when place on slow speed.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
99% of the time it's the carb, every piece needs to be removed and cleaned. The squeeze bulb will not be hard when the motors running, but try squeezing it when the motor is cutting out and dying, if it helps you may have an air leak of failing fuel pump.