nissam9.8 skips

Boingram

Recruit
...nissan 9.8 on a RIB will occassionall skip and oil warning light comes on...throttle back and all ok...will work fine until next time...oil level full...tia...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Are you using the correct oil grade ? Probably low pressure oil sensor malfunctioning.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Assuming you have an NSF9.8A3 4-stroke. You didn't mention that, and it's critical for diagnosis. If you are exceeding about 6200 RPM, the ECU will limit speed by staggering the ignition. That could trigger the red LED. Also, if the oil is over full, even a drop over, you may be getting foaming and extreme crankcase pressures, causing those symptoms. If the oil pressure drops, and the LED turns on, and the ECU limits speed to about 3000 RPM. Oil level of about 3/4 on the stick is fine. Your best oil for that motor is non-synthetic NMMA-certified type FC-W, in grade 10w-30.

Last edited:

Boingram

Recruit
Paul...thx...i think all skipping has been in sharp turns i think...may be over revving and a little cavitation...also...i added oil and may have over filled...will check...thx..

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume that it will be near impossible for overrev limiter to kick in at 6.2 K rpm as the OB is already not performing right, is losing max wot rpm at that elevation compared to sea level. OTOH, we don't know which type of boat is that OB powering and if boating lightly, medium or highly loaded or if the factory delivered prop performs spot on for that combo and load, only measurable with a tach. Seems that at least a carb re-jet soon is not in OP mind, right ?

Happy Boating