Rinse motor while tilted?

emarshbuck

Seaman
2004 Tohatsu 25hp MFA. Boat is in the water @marina. I'm supposed to rinse the salt water out after an outing. I have to use rabbit ears. I don't have a garden hose inlet. Can I run the engine for a couple of minutes in the tilt position? That's the only way to attach the fresh water device.

Thanks

Ed Marshall
Hilton Head

pvanv

Admiral
Check p.42 of your owners manual. You can use a flushing attachment at the block if you prefer that to muffs. Either way, you will need to tape off the sub water strainer. If you run the motor, do this while not tilted... the carb floats are supposed to be fairly level in order to work correctly.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If having a water supply next to combo to hook a garden hose there, buy a flushing adapter, remove flushing cap, install adapter along water hose. The manual doesn't mention if need to flush OB while on or off. If off thermo will not open and combustion chamber will not be correctly flushed. Could flush OB set at shallow trim position, but not while fully tilted up. What's the fresh water device ?

Happy Boating

emarshbuck

Seaman
water is from garden hose at the dock. I'll check on a flushing adapter. thanks guys!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
So combo will be docked while OB is flushed, right ? The issue will be : if flushed while OB is Off, probably thermo will not open, so water paths around cylinder head will not be flushed correctly, salt will remain there, all other water paths will be flushed. Unless water hose at pier delivers a high water pressure and mechanically opens the thermo, don't know if that's possible.

If OB is On while flushing with adapter, thermo will open, but assume there will be a kind of internal water conflict between what impeller is pumping upward and what adapter is flushing in. One story is flushing out of water, other on water.

Happy Boating