BF50a tiller conversion kit

Dewey00

Recruit
Has anybody installed this kit? I just about completed the install of this kit. The instructions were pretty vague concerning the throttle cable installation. They way the instructions imply is impossible so I thought I might have figured it out, but it ends up screwing with the gear shift linkage. If I put the throttle arm knob for the throttle rod above the throttle cable bracket the cables won't work, but this is how it was drawn in the instructions. If I put the knob below the bracket like I have seen it on other motors, the cables seem to work, but the throttle arm contacts the shift arm or the linkage. I know the throttle and shift arms should work together to avoid full throttle in reverse and/or prevent shifting at full throttle. The instructions are also referencing some pages in the service manual that don't exist or are irrelevant.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its a relatively simple process, you may be over thinking it or missing pieces making it more difficult that is has to be.

Here is a diagram

cableinstall_zpseoaqozpz.jpg

tommarvin

Ensign
You need a factory service manual

boatinfo.no/lib/library.html
Check your private messages.

Last edited by a moderator:

RendezvousMAN

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I haven't made it this far yet. But I just got a BF50 with no controls or cables. I need to see if it's running and was able to get controls and part of a harness. I don't have the factory battery cables and after calling the marina he said they are close to $300. He also said I could pull off making my own. I need to know where to hook up the positive and negative. Also. My harness only has the large round plug. When I asked what the green 6 pin was for he said nothing. If the pics aren't large enough I can get better shots.
I was hoping to attach the positive wire to the bottom post of the starter selenoid. It's just below the starter to the left a little. It has more corrosion than anything else. I figured that's where it came from. And I don't even know where I want the ground wire.
Thanks for the help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo241542.jpg
    photo241542.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo241543.jpg
    photo241543.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I haven't made it this far yet. But I just got a BF50 with no controls or cables. I need to see if it's running and was able to get controls and part of a harness. I don't have the factory battery cables and after calling the marina he said they are close to $300. He also said I could pull off making my own. I need to know where to hook up the positive and negative. Also. My harness only has the large round plug. When I asked what the green 6 pin was for he said nothing. If the pics aren't large enough I can get better shots.
I was hoping to attach the positive wire to the bottom post of the starter selenoid. It's just below the starter to the left a little. It has more corrosion than anything else. I figured that's where it came from. And I don't even know where I want the ground wire.
Thanks for the help

Rendezous - Start your own thread. Tagging on here isn't helping Dewey, the OP. Thanks.

Dewey00

Recruit
Thank you for the response. I finally got it figured out. The diagram that is on this thread is more for going from a tiller to remote controls. I however am installing the tiller and getting rid of the remote control. Maybe this can help someone out in the future. The problem was in the shift linkage arm, the shaft for the tiller goes in the lower hole that is very difficult to see and isn't on any of the drawings. For the remote controls it goes in the upper hole.