Carbs just cleaned, still no idle. Annoyed.

pgshields

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I just got my pontoon back from the marine place. They work on outboards so I thought if I took my Honda to them they would get it fixed. Regardless of my complaining, I have a Honda BF50A. I took it to the marine place and told them my carbs were clogged and I had no idle, impeller was bad, and leaking lower unit (full of water). I got my bill and it was about $500 dollars with 4 hours of labor. Now here is where my boat/Motor is messing up.

When my boat has the clutch pulled, or I am pushing the key in, the boat works perfect. It idles up, stays at a normal RPM and doesn't freak out. As soon as I release the key, or the clutch goes back in(by itself) the engine shoots to 4200 RPM and then dies out. Every time this happens immediately. The fuel filter was changed, the spark plugs were changed, the oil filter and oil were changed. What could be causing this to happen. I am going to call the place that worked on it but just want to have some type of idea of what is causing that. And can I fix it myself? Just annoying to have to drive another hour and back because it didn't get done the first time. Thank you all for you guys help. Sorry for ranting.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unfortunately Honda multi carburetors setups are about the most difficult set of carburetors to work on, you need specialized tools and knowledge and probably will not be able to work on them yourself without a significant investment of time and tools.

Its hard to tell what they did ive never seen that specific problem. What is the serial number of the motor? The BF50A had 2 different set of carburetors depending on when it was made so need to identify which ones you have before making any suggestions.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Check the long tubes in the carburetors under a microscope. They often have cracks.

pgshields

Cadet
Unfortunately Honda multi carburetors setups are about the most difficult set of carburetors to work on, you need specialized tools and knowledge and probably will not be able to work on them yourself without a significant investment of time and tools.

Its hard to tell what they did ive never seen that specific problem. What is the serial number of the motor? The BF50A had 2 different set of carburetors depending on when it was made so need to identify which ones you have before making any suggestions.

The engine number is BAZL-1000255, and it is around a 1997. My mechanic (can't work on it for some reason) Says it seems like its allowing too much air into it and then it dies out.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check carb gaskets, could be dried, hardened ,cracked, in bad shape does not sit right or tight, lets air in and OB starts having idle issues. Check too if general idle adjustment screw is set to low and OB dies.. Turn screw CW some and see if OB remains on.

Happy Boating

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK I think I have a better understanding of whats going on. What is probably happening is when your holding in the key your choking it forcing fuel through the system and flooding it, as soon as you release the key it lets enough air in to burn off the eccess fuel you dumped in there from holding the key and once that fuel is gone it dies because your low and intermediate circruts are still dirty it does. These passages are very small and can be frustrating to clean, i would go as far to say as if you do not have an ultrasonic cleaner you really should not be working on them. You also cannot tune those carbs without a Vacuummate or Carb Sync. You can try adjusting the mixture screws but without the Ultrasonic cleaning and Vacuummate its not going to be right. I would take it back and have them fix it right, even Ive worked on these things for many years and still dont get them right the first try every time. Its those tiny passagaes that dont take hardly anything to clog them up that make that motor one the the smoothest and fuel efficient motors you could ever own.

pgshields

Cadet
OK I think I have a better understanding of whats going on. What is probably happening is when your holding in the key your choking it forcing fuel through the system and flooding it, as soon as you release the key it lets enough air in to burn off the eccess fuel you dumped in there from holding the key and once that fuel is gone it dies because your low and intermediate circruts are still dirty it does. These passages are very small and can be frustrating to clean, i would go as far to say as if you do not have an ultrasonic cleaner you really should not be working on them. You also cannot tune those carbs without a Vacuummate or Carb Sync. You can try adjusting the mixture screws but without the Ultrasonic cleaning and Vacuummate its not going to be right. I would take it back and have them fix it right, even Ive worked on these things for many years and still dont get them right the first try every time. Its those tiny passagaes that dont take hardly anything to clog them up that make that motor one the the smoothest and fuel efficient motors you could ever own.
Thank you very much for the responses. So this is a very good motor in your opinion? If I take care of it you think it will last a long time? Thank you again very much for your input. If I take it back and say what I said earlier (About revving to 4200 RPM with the choke and dying) they will know what to look at? They are suppose to be the best around, so I guess I am asking is that common on these outboards? Thank you again

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes a very good motor just not easy to work on. If you keep good clean fuel in it you will never have a problem. They are very sensitive to fuel though and if your not one to take care of it it will be constant problems but that's not the engines fault.

I would just tell them it won't run without the choke, that is an accurate description of what you have and less likely to confuse them. They should clean the carbs again and hopefully get it right this time.

pgshields

Cadet
Yes a very good motor just not easy to work on. If you keep good clean fuel in it you will never have a problem. They are very sensitive to fuel though and if your not one to take care of it it will be constant problems but that's not the engines fault.

I would just tell them it won't run without the choke, that is an accurate description of what you have and less likely to confuse them. They should clean the carbs again and hopefully get it right this time.
Thank you a ton Hondam, and everyone else. If I put some fuel treatment in every fill-up do you think this would help. specifically the Sta-Bil 360 Marine (Blue stuff) or would you put seafoam in? Thank you again.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes on the Stabil definately will help, No on the Seafoam - It is too corrosive Honda does not recommend it.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hey everyone!

Great conversations here! There are many different fuel additives that have different purposes for different fuel related issues. There are many different types of fuel additives that can keep fuel fresh, fight against the effects of ethanol (rust, corrosion, and varnish), help prevent phase separation, remove water, or are a fuel system cleaner.

When it comes to fuel additives, it is important to do some research on the product before you make a purchase. What you want to use is a product that makes specific, reasonable claims when it comes to today's fuel. Hope this helps!

If you have any fuel additive related questions, feel free to comment or shoot us a PM.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

pgshields

Cadet
Just got my boat back and its working, The paper said that one of the carbs was still leaking. The guy working there said one of the floats wouldn't fit right when it was going down. Regardless it is working great out of water. Waiting to get the pontoon welded, and getting it on the water.

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
Not to get off the boat motor topic,.. But in todays fuel miser mode, all forms of transportation/recreational vehicles etc, the fuel systems are getting mkre complex in the carburated arena
I went thru a similar dual carb issue on my airplane ( rotax 912 motor) and I can not run ethanol based fuels, it has to be non ethanol 89-94 octane or avgas and use a lead scavenger like dacilyn , the Rotax carbs are very similar to the honda to include great fuel economy, i burn 3.4 gph if i keep her under 115 mph
If you guys are not getting fuel at the marina's do a search "www.pure-gas.org " it will list by state every gas station /convenient store that carries non ethanol fuel

pgshields

Cadet
So have ran boat a little and it seems like the idle is very high. When I put it into hear it makes a big book and is not smooth at all. Any idea what is wrong now?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So have ran boat a little and it seems like the idle is very high. When I put it into hear it makes a big book and is not smooth at all. Any idea what is wrong now?

as hondam says, these are fussy. I don't care how many times they clean the carbs.....if the carbs aren't "balanced", it will not idle right...Often mechanics will increase the idle speed to mask a poor idling engine.