Honda BF40 tilt alarm

Andariego

Recruit
I recently purchased a pre-1997 Honda BF40 4 stroke outboard. It runs fine, but the other day it suddenly started giving me a beeping alarm at the remote control. It is not a steady alarm, rather an intermittent beep (approx 1 sec on-off-on-off).After about 5 minutes it stopped beeping and the motor ran fine. Some research leads me to believe this is the tilt/trim alarm and I would like to disable it. This is the second time this has happened. I tried unplugging the tilt/trim sensor but then I get the beeping alarm as soon as the throttle is advanced past idle, regardless of tilt position so I assume this must remain connected.
Can someone please give me directions on how to disable this alarm? Or, any other suggestions????

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
All the alarms go through the ICU (Ignition Control Unit) There will be a wire going from the sender to the ICU, probably Light Green and Black wire. If you unplug that and still have alarms going off, you may have a problem with your ICU. Ive been working on Hondas for 17 years and never had to replace one, but its possible.

Andariego

Recruit
Thanks for your help. The tilt angle sensor was corroded and stuck so I wd40'd it and worked it back and forth till it was loose and working again. I've been out 3 times since I did that and so far, no more alarm. I'll keep your comments handy in case it starts causing problems again.
Thanks again for your help.