Honda 135 Alarm--what does it mean?

capchrismkk

Recruit
After six months of not running, I charged the batteries, did normal prestart checks. Left engine started right up. Right engine, when turn the key, emits rapid short beeps, continuously. The oil, temp and check engine lights all flash in concert with the beeps. Local dealer is missing a Honda tech, several hours of net searching=nothing. I did swap the harnesses at the throttle quadrant, same problem just shows up on other engine since I swapped the wires. Voltage is 12.8, both batteries. To be clear, when the key is turned to start, there is no indication that it is calling for the starter to engage or run. Just the continuous beep and flashing alarm lights. Anyone heard of or seen such a situation as this?

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
You have a voltage drop problem. There is a bad connection somewhere or bad battery cables. Unfortunately the battery cables are part of a wiring harness and can just bolt a couple of new ones on there if you want it back how the factory did it. You can rig a couple on there to test it though.

Also wouldnt go just off the battery voltage, take the battery into the local auto parts store and have it tested. That battery needs to be at least 809 MCA but i would recommend a 1000 MCA. If your using an undersized battery its just further complicating the problem. A lot a people think the battery they are using is fine because it cranks the motor, not always true, if its undersized it puts much more stress on the electrical components and can burn up starters, alternators, battery cables, ECUs, anything electrical on the motor. It wont burn it up immediately, it slowly damages it over time.

What you are describing is not a factory alarm, your starving the ECU for electricity and its doing some funky stuff.

Last edited:

capchrismkk

Recruit
Wow.OK. I had figured fairly new batts just coming off the charger would be fine. Thanks for the help. I will check it out.

capchrismkk

Recruit
Thank you Hondam. Fixed and running. Sure wish you lived near Molokai! You are a lifesaver!!