Nissan 40 LS to SS conversion question and purchase advice request

TNWillie

Recruit
I found a 40 Hp long shaft for sale that the owner states requires an ignition module as it doesn't have any spark. I need a short shaft motor for my boat and don't want to add a jackplate. According to parts prices I found online, the necessary short shaft parts will be around $350. However, I don't know how readily available they are.
My question is: Is a bad ignition module the mostly likely cause of no spark and are special tools needed to access it? Any other advice and/or opinions would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
First, you need the precise model (not year) to know which motor you have. Parts for different models may not interchange.

Then, must diagnose the ignition. Guessing that you need a new CD could be an expensive mistake.

It is seldom cost-effective to change shaft lengths; a better deal is to sell or swap a wrong-length motor for the correct length.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Could add a simple 5" transom engine mount as opposed to a jack plate and use L shaft OB. The drive shaft alone is around $ 260 and need lots of more parts for the S conversion. Will blow your $ 350 estimated money real fast.

Not having spark is a 3 electrical component failure, will need to diagnose properly which one is the real culprit not wild guessing though as could turn out into a costly one.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

TNWillie

Recruit
Thank you both very much! Although your info was not what I was hoping to read, it confirmed what I had thought and was exactly what I needed.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't have issues installing L shaft Tohatsu OB's on short or medium height transoms, can solve the problem by installing a proper height engine mount as in pic .

Transom Mount.JPG

Or adding a second upper water deflector to lower leg. Much cheaper than investing on Short shaft parts.

P1180829.JPG

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
The parts alone to convert it are more than you think they are.

new motor leg, drive shaft, shift rod, water tube and assorted gaskets.