18hp nissan 4 stroke wont stay running

KyleBuchaluk

Recruit
I have a 2002 Nissan 18HP 4 stroke outboard on my boat I recently acquired. It will only start of I spray starter fluid in air intake box leading to carb. I know this is bad to do so I kept it to a minimum. It would run for a few seconds and die out. I took carb out and cleaned it then put back on and tried again. This time same thing except when I gave it gas it ran a little longer than before. So I cleaned carb again. Still same thing happens. Maby 20 seconds and it kills out. I check all fuel lines and fuel filter and there good. I also took off drain bolt and primed it and gas comes out every time I squeeze the primer. So I figured its getting fuel to the carb. I did notice something funny with the primer like the inside of it was clogged or the inside layers somehow got clogged and mingled inside of it. I am going tomorrow to buy a new one.
Would the primer bulb cause it not to start or Maby the carb needs to be cleaned again.... I'm not sure that's why I'm here for help if anyone has time to help a fella out . I also read it could be the automatic choke on top of the carb or fuel pump but I'm clueless .

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
it should have a fuel pump and a tiny inline fuel filter. If the diaphram in the pump is weak or bad it wont get fuel.

Lake time

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds like it's not getting fuel to the combustion chamber. Your running in starting fluid so that knocked out no spark it's starving for gas if you have ran ethanol in it it forms crystals in the fuel line and on the carb gets jets blow the lines out with air and the carb to see what that gets you

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Your Nissan Is a Tohatsu you may find more help in the Honda,Nissan/Tohatsu. Forum.

tommarvin

Ensign
Kyle, your idle jet is plugged,remove the carb bowel remove idle jet clean all the small holes in it ,wire, tooth picks, ream them out, blow out with compressed air if you can. check high speed jet, make sure there's not a chunk of anything in it too.
Replace all on motor fuel filters, please add a 10 micron spin on water separating filter mount it on the transom, empty into a metal can and light on fire at the end of boating season, light coat of grease on gasket spin it back on for next season.

Take the fuel line off after the fuel pump, turn motor over, any gas coming out? Please keep us posted so I can learn something!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the carb bowl receives fuel when bulb is fully primed, it's not a fuel pump related issue.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are you having issues at idle while testing on muffs, barrel without engine load ? what about when throttling past idle setting ? engine still dies ? if not, carb idle circuit is clogged, air/fuel screw is out of correct idle adjustment, idle screw is set too low or a combination of both cases.

Happy Boating