tohatsu 9.9 update

marinero11

Cadet
hi guys I have a tohatsu 9.9 and will like to update to 15 hp instead of trade in I find that I could convert it I am looking for help on this issue and save a lot of $$$$$on exchange with dealers ​ my outboard 9.9 have only 6 hr drive just brake in
any advise will be appreciate due that I am new on boating
regards
carlos

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Carlos which 9.9 model is it C, D ? Plenty of info here a matter to check old posts.

Happy Boating

marinero11

Cadet
sea rider thanks for you reply,and sorry I put the wrong model of motor the model is a 9.8 B so hope that will help
I was told that this motor was 9.9 I look in the manual today
thanks regards ​
carlos ​

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, cant' upgrade a 9.8 into a 15. 9.8 is the max it will go. 9.8 & 9.9/15 are different animals. 170 CC against 250 CC. What you can do is maximize prop to get out full 9.8 HP output, will need to install an induction tach for that. Do you find the 9.8 HP to be underpowered for your current application ?

Happy Boating

marinero11

Cadet
sea rider ,thanks for the advice yes reading the manuals I find that 9.8 is 27 kg and 9.9/15 46 kg big different units a 20 kg extra on my 15,ft sea hawk so I will
kept this unit and do not make exchange to a big motor it will be extra weight at the stern o make a center console but that will cost my lot $$$$ the power on this motor is ok with 2 people on board sea hawk recommended power 5 h-p to 15 h-p safe passenger load 500 lbs maxi I am on the midel of the range ​
appreciate your advice and happy to know people like you and this forum

thanks and best regards ​ --- carlos bairo

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Carlos,

Which type of watercraft is a Sea Hawk ? Is it possible to plane or just limited to fast displacements speeds ? A world of boating fun difference between both...

Happy Boating

marinero11

Cadet
sea rider thanks for your concern on my request SEA HAWK is planning hull 15 f t 6 '' plywood design by Philip Bolger semi dory that I build i cold by make with console steering to and I chose to use the maximum safety recommended h p unit 15 h p tow stroke ​