how to judge a repair shop

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
dumb questions coming. what kind of questions would u ask a shop owner to judge his ability to work on ur outboard? examples. how to pick his brain.just want to be able to go in with knowledge. i dont know how to really express this question. all help is appreciated

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I guess you would need to be a real OB skilled mechanic to speak same language with a shop owner. The only way to trust a good shop work is testing OB throughout the whole throttle range, if OB purrs as a kitten at idle and runs as a dragster at wot, owner and shop has my unconditional vote. LOL!!

Happy Boater

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One thing you can do is take the motor in for some simple work.---Say oil change and sparkplugs and a test run.-----Ask how much that work will be.---See how they do on that one.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Personally wouldn't pay a dime for such a piece of cake ABC work that can be done by any boater just by reading and following Owner's Manual instructions, if that basic work is done real bad, will confirm that shop owner is a tree shaded mechanic or have those same "skilled mechanics" working for him.

Happy Boating

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
what kind of motor is it?

Unfortunately its really hard to get objective information. I usually look at what tools they have if they are current on factory training and maybe try them out with a simple wiring job because in my opinion electrical work is one of the more tedious types of work and can demonstrate their attention to detail. is it twisted and taped or or everything properly terminated and supported

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
a clean well organized shop is not always a sign to look for; how long have they been in business? Sometimes, people at the local boat ramp have experience with shops and can be a "pool of information" on just about everything under the Sun!! :rain:lol Outboards are fairly straightforward.. read a manual to increase your understanding, you might wanna fix it yourself

sssppppheeeewwww!! caffeine rush! lol had to edit that! Let me say it this way...

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Everybody needs to make a living, but some shops want to kill ya with the BILL!!!! Just because it has a marine application, you can expect some dollars, but dang! Some act like they want to retire off ya!!! lol One of my favorite cartoons ever was a pic of an instructor with the class gathered around - caption read, "and today class, we're going to learn how to raise the hood while slowly shaking our head!!!"

I still laugh at that!!

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
a clean well organized shop is not always a sign to look for; how long have they been in business?

I definately agree with this. I used to live and work in the Chicago area and the best outboard mechanic/shop owner ive met that taught me a lot over the years i was up there had the most disorganized cluttered mess of a shop that had been in family multi generation buisness since 1957. A couple manufactures would occationally send their customer from hundreds of miles away like NY and TX when they need a problem engine fixed. Messy policatlly incorrect owner that was very talented and fair.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think word of mouth from the locals is the best way to pick, they'll tell you who is a crook, who is fair, who for warranty work, who for this brand or for that brand.

For instance around the Raystown, Shy Beaver Boats for Mercury dealer service and warranty good but pricey, Jims Anchorage had 30 somes years with OMC til the end and is with Bombadier now, they are very good with Johnson/Evinrude but also a bit pricey. For an independent guy and good all around service I would go to Mike at Arnold's Marine, he's a good mechanic, easy to talk to and fairly priced. I won't call out bad guys, but I've dealt with about all of them from Saxton to Huntingdon and I would not go anyplace I didn't mention here.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
my previous two posts in this thread are PROOF that I cannot type!! Took me nine minutes to a few sentences lol.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Years ago I had 2 places to go - one was a marine dealer that handled OBs and jetskis. The other a private guy that was a "mobile mechanic" that only worked on inboards and I/Os. He came right to my house.

When I read a disparaging story in a magazine about poor mechanics I wrote a letter to the editor and even cited the names of my guys. Both saw the story and my remarks. Boy, did I get service after that....LOL.

A few years later the service manager left and after that the quality of the work suffered. They even ruined an engine once and the owner wouldn't own up to it. I don't go there anymore.

My "guy" now has so much business he hardly ever answers his phone. Last time I had to go to his house and wait till he got home to see him.

You just never know - life is full of changes.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Find out what they know about servicing and adjusting/timing points systems! Before retiring from the business after 42yrs.,the new guys we had coming in didn't have a clue! I honestly don't know how the majority of them ever passed the service school courses!

airshot

Rear Admiral
How well do they back up their work.....in writing or just talk. If cost is fair and willing to backup their work in writing then go for it. I have found if they start tooting their own horn loudly then time to look elsewhere. The ones that do quality work at fair prices and stand behind their work don't need to toot their own horn, others will do it for them!!