Loud, smoking Nissan 9.8

BobGlover

Seaman
My 2012 9.8 Nissan recently has gotten very loud and now started smoking somewhat. It starts, runs and idles well. I changed the oil last year, filling it to about half full on the dipstick. I checked the oil yesterday, and the dipstick showed the oil level to be very high--almost to the top of the stick. What would cause this, and could it be the cause of my problems? I don't run the motor at idle much at all and it has gotten plenty of use this summer.

pvanv

Admiral
The loudness and smoking is likely due to the overfull crankcase. Lower the level back down below full. Does the oil smell of gas? If so, you may have a blown diaphragm in the fuel pump.

BobGlover

Seaman
Paul,
I drained the oil and refilled to the proper level. I couldn't smell gas in the oil, but my nose may be off. Do you ship fuel pumps for that motor? If so, what is the cost? The oil change stopped the smoking but the excess noise is still there. I've got a 2011 Mercury and the Nissan is much louder than the Mercury. It's also developed a high speed miss. Could that be related to the noise problem, or just something in the carb? Thanks for all your advice! The nearest Nissan/Tohatsu mechanic is almost 1 1/2 hrs away, so I'm going to try everything I can myself before taking the motor somewhere.

pvanv

Admiral
Bob.
All 4-strokes will gain some oil, so depending on temperatures and speeds, as well as number of hours since the last change, it's not unusual to have the crankcase level rise. If the oil gets diluted with fuel, it's very thin and reeks of gas, so you probably don't have a blown pump. Most bad pumps will reveal the leak if they are removed from the motor, and connected to the fuel line, then primed with the bulb. If fuel leaks out at the pump push rod, it's shot. (diagnose before replacing parts).
A high-speed miss could be either fuel or ignition (or mechanical), so start by changing plugs, and inspecting the old ones... easy, cheap, and needs to be done from time to time anyway. Diagnosing the appearance of plugs tells a LOT about the motor.
The 9.8 should be quiet. Identical to the merc. You can check valve lash (almost never out of adjustment), as that could cause a miss and also could cause it to be louder.
Most carb issues are at low speeds, unless some jackass installed the wrong (8 hp) main jet in the carb. Yes, it has been done...Contamination in the fuel can cause missing, as could a thermostat that is stuck open... that would also contribute to gaining oil. An IR thermometer should show a running block temp of around 150 degrees (but different areas will have different temps). If way below that, the stat might be stuck open.

Last edited:

BobGlover

Seaman
Paul,
Thanks a lot for all your help. I'll look at the plugs and have an IR thermometer from Harbor Freight that might work ok for the block temp. I'll also check the fuel. As to the high speed miss; I just remembered that it (not the noise, though) seems to have started after I changed the fuel line. Something may have fallen into the line and lodged in the carb. I'll check that out also. Thanks again!
Bob