Nissan NS30 Question

ric44

Cadet
I bought this motor seized due to rusty cylinders but managed to free it up where the starter will spin it . Compression check then revealed low compression as I suspected it would . Pulled the head and the cylinders are pitted some , one more than the other. My question is when I pull it down to hone the cylinders , how much can I clean the cylinders up with the hone and still get by using the stock pistons and replacement ring sets ? I'd rather not rebore if I dont have to . Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There's one super size 0.5 mm piston and ring set that comes inmediately after standard ones. How low is compression between cylinders ?

Compression should be 99.6 PSI, should not exceed max 15 % between cylinders.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
About .1mm and you can still use the original pistons. Two mm or more and you need to bore both cylinders to the oversize piston size of .5.

ric44

Cadet
One was 60-65 the other 80 . Added oil to the cylinders and it bumped them to 100psi or better .

ric44

Cadet
Cylinders have pits you can definitely hang a nail in . I'm gonna try to hone them a bit then see where I am . I am doubting .1mm is gonna clean them up though .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you bore to take all those pits from cylinder wall impossible to use a standard piston/ring set again. The piston/ring tolerance is extremely short. Bore it to next 0.5 mm size. It's only + half milimeter compared to original standard piston/ring set. Will have a standard OB again in excellent working order.

Happy Boating