Repair/replace swivel case on 2005 Honda 8

aussiebushman

Recruit
Hi

I'm new to this forum, but not to boats and engine work and need advice from anyone familiar with swivel case removal/replacement on a late 2005 HONDA 8 BAAJ outboard. The swivel case was fractured right through when customers of the last owner ( hire service) backed the engine into a wharf. I bought the unit at a very good price and with only 40 hours total use, it is certainly worth fixing

The shop manual has been downloaded. good parts drawings/ part numbers found and the springs, tilt lever, arm, bushes etc have been removed. That was the good news.

The bad news is I cannot remove the 2 bolts holding the tiller arm to the swivel - they are so tight I'm afraid of breaking them off inside the housing. The second problem is undoing the lock nut/sleeve nut at the bottom of the shift rod. The gear lever seems not to fully engage reverse and that might cause lack of clearance OR do I need to undo the main drive shaft too? The manual implies the engine itself has to be removed but from the drawings, this seems an excessive amount of work

If the entire swivel case can be removed, aligning the bits and welding it is one option - another is to replace the part for a bit over $A150 (plus new bushes, pins etc.

Any advice from someone who has stripped/repaired one of these units would be very much appreciated

Attachments

• Broken_swivel_case2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Broken_swivel_case2 (600 x 450).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • shift_rod_adjustment (600 x 461).jpg
    shift_rod_adjustment (600 x 461).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0