Cannot Identify Year Of My 15HP Honda

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 4 stroke outboard with the serial number 'BALJ 1100433'. I was told it is a 2003-2005. Everything I seem to read uses the reference letters 'BF' for these years and I cannot find reference to my 'BALJ'. Do I need to look elsewhere on my motor for a plate with different numbers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, although the year would be great, I would also appreciate some type of source or reference that cross-references my numbers and shows me what each letter/number refers to. Thank you.

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Look on the serial number plate in the bottom right corner for a 2 letter code. That is what Honda uses to determine the year. Once you have those 2 letters, post back and hopefully a Honda dealer on the forum can look up the code and tell you what year it is. Honda serial numbers don't have anything to do with the year.

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

TGuy ... thanks for jumping in and helping! I assumed this (see pic 1) was the the serial number plate but it contains the same letters and numbers originally posted. I don't see a 'two letter' code here, is there another plate somewhere else? The second pic is of some embossed characters on the motor but I don't believe this is what you are referring to.

Attachments

• photo232117.JPG
    photo232117.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo232118.JPG
    photo232118.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 1

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Wow ... I won't even ask how you figured that out based on the numbers on the serial plate. Thank you for the link.

Another question for you (although it probably is irrelevant): I can find no reference to the 'L' either however, my outboard is definitely a Short Shaft so is it possible that the designation might be - 2004 BF15D4 - but simply Type: 'SHA' vs 'LHSA' (see pic). Thanks again!

Attachments

• photo232206.jpg
    photo232206.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0