15 vs 20 tohatsu questions.

BassAckwards80

Seaman Apprentice
I've had some horrible luck with outboards. I've had a 25 hp, 18 hp, 3 hp two strokes that I've rebuilt but keep having problems. I've decided to get away from the old two strokes as I can't continue to physically work on these. So I've decided on a new 4 stroke. So with all that background said,..

I've decided on the tohatsu because it's all around has great reviews. I also have a dealer near me that sells tohatsu and Yamaha. Now I have a 1443 Jon with a weight limit of 760 lbs. I utilize every ounce of that limit as I have modified this boat to have a casting deck, front and rear trolling motor, and two battery compartments. The boats capacity is well distributed but is maxed, the 1968 18 hp evinrude pushed me at about 19 mph.

Money aside I want to know how the 15 hp would be compared to the 20. They both weight the same and I think low end power would be the same. I think high end is the only real output difference. So if this was your boat and everything was the same what would you get and why? Would you get a different brand if money wasn't an issue?

pvanv

Admiral
The motors are identical, save the carb. Get the 20.