Tohatsu MFS 20 Power Tilt Problem

marcusmarcus

Recruit
HI
Had 4 separate problems with power tilt first the lower case switch rotted away inside and maybe caused problem no 2 by sticking in ON position causing the cable to burn out./ 2nd the cable crimp from new at the solenoid had almost severed the wire inside the cover and this had melted I suppose like a fuse. The 3rd problem was that trying to loosen the manual valve to allow the leg down as an emergency get home measure I had chewed up the screw slot (cannot see it and at the waterline & difficult to reach). Now cleaned up the slot end and epoxied a ring around to re enforce it. Having re-assembled it all I now find it impossible to remove the screw plug to refill the hydraulic fluid reservoir. The parts diagram for this engine shows a screw slot at the top of the reservoir to top up the fluid but my engine( 2012) has 4 holes so ideally needs a 4 pin wrench. I made up a substantial 2 pin wench to go diagonally across 2 of the holes but so far despite applying considerable force I cannot shift it.
So my questions are:- Have I got the right plug - at the right side of the cylinder on the upper side of the cast boss?
If I have the right plug does it have a locking screw? The workshop manual cites 5ft lbs so it should not be very tight at all! There is no corrosion around this area and the paint was well adhered so it should not be seized.
There is what looks to be a drain bolt low down on the leg but this is no help for refilling.

Any ideas or wise words on this problem.

Apart from this problem I have been very impressed with engine and I do use the power tilt quite a bit when raising or lowering the leg to sail.

Last edited: