Honda BF40 Choke Operation

davecal

Recruit
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, I just bout a RIB center console with a 2008 Honda 40 hp outboard (BF40) and hope someone can help with two questions.
The motor takes an unusually long time to start on the first start of the day, runs perfect after that. My question is does this motor have an electric choke? When I push the key in I do not hear a click. I peviously owned a 2002 BF50 a few years ago that clicked when you pushed the key to engage the choke and started right away. Not sure if this motor is the same set up.

Second question is does anyone know where the power tilt sensor is or if there is an easy way to test? The dash gauge doesn't register at all and is always in the down position. Even when you put the key on accessory nothing happens like you would expect a bit of movement on the gauge. Not sure if it's a sensor problem or gauge issue.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you, Dave

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor has an electric choke which take some getting use if youve always ran 2 strokes. You have to pump up the primer bulb, then just hit the key. If you give it ANY fast idle or your idle is not adjusted properly then it will not work and be hard to start. The throttle needs to be at a flat idle and just turn the key. It does usually take a couple seconds to crank up but shouldnt have to be cranking on it a bunch of times. I personally liked the old manual chokes better but this works too.

You can check The trim sender with a digital multi meter on the ohms setting. Unhook the ground and sender wires from the back of the gauge, hook one leak to the ground and the other to the sender wire (doesnt matter which test lead goes to which wire). Then trim the motor and see if the value changes. Typical gauges read from 50 to 200 but i think the Honda uses a different scale. So just hook up the meter and make sure the numbers are changing as the motor is trimming. If the number do not more then you have a sender or wiring problem, if the numbers are moving then its the gauge.

davecal

Recruit
Thank you for the help, I will check the trim gauge. As far as the choke operation, my last Honda was a BF50 4 stroke and when you pushed in the key you heard a definite click that I don't hear at all on this BF40 so i'm assuming it's a different set up or there is a problem with the electric choke.
Thank you again for your reply. Dave

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is a different system, completely different carburators, i said electric choke but what it actually is is an automatic enrichment circuit. You do not supposed to hear any clicks because there are no choke plates. If you look on top of the top carb there is a white plastic piece. This is an electric valve that is open on a cold motor supplies extra fuel to the motor and as the engine heats up, the valve closes cutting off the additional fuel to the motor that supposed to aid the starting of the motor. IF your trying to start it like your older 50 its going to be very difficult to start.

Last edited:

davecal

Recruit
Okay that makes sense and helps me a lot. Do you know what the idle speed should be set at? I think mine is too low and that may be my issue. When I prime the bulb and hold the key in it still takes a bit to start. If I give it a touch of throttle it seems to help. Thank you again for your help