Honda BF130 Seized up - found oil in flywheel area

jwaymer

Seaman Apprentice
I'm pretty sure my Honda is seized up. I removed the starter and found oil in and on the flywheel. This shouldn't be there, right?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
NO there shouldn't be any oil in the flywheel area. Sounds like your upper crank seal is gone... Any pictures?

jwaymer

Seaman Apprentice
No photos, sorry. I figured the same thing, but thought maybe there is some oil passage through the flywheel area. I guess the seal went out, dumped the oil and caused the seizure. The starter stripped the planetary gear trying to start it, and after I rebuilt the starter it wouldn't crank at all. I tried turning the engine at the prop and cannot budge it. For comparison, I can turn the twin on the starboard side next to it.... anyone have a decent used BF130 for sale???

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
The oil pump is located on the bottom powerhead just near the flywheel. On these engines the flywheel is mounted on the bottom to lower the center of gravity. I am thinking that a seal on the oil pump or lower crankshaft seal has gone out. But you should have had alarms going off if this was the case. I have seen lower crank shaft seals on the very early 2002 BF225s but not on the BF130s even the commercial ones with over 15,000 hours but i guess its possible.

Have you removed all the spark plugs and lower unit and tried cranking it over? I would double check that before i scrap it.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is there any oil left in the pan, and what condition is it in? Is the timing belt still in one piece?