Brand Spanking new Honda 50...What can go wrong??

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,
Just got a new Honda BF50(2014 model) and was able to put it in the water to start break in. I thought, wow, a new motor, no problems for years! Unfortunately, not! I had a couple problems. I could not prime the bulb to get gas to the engine. What I finally ended up doing was taking the connector off the Honda and while holding in the silver ball on the fuel connector, I primed the bulb. THEN gas started to flow, fill the fuel filter and then came out the hose. After hooking up the gas line back to the motor, I was able to prime the bulb till it got hard.

Then I ran into other problems.

While out there breaking in the motor, I noticed that I could only go about 2800RPM when going full throttle. I should be topping around close to 5600! I thought maybe I was overpropped but the dealer said the prop size/pitch would only be a change of maybe 300RPM.

I also noticed that at times the engine would have a subtle quick shudder or shake, almost looking like a misfire or skip. That was at different speeds.

I spoke to the dealer and he said it sounds like an air leak in one of the hoses. Does that sound possible? In theory, shouldn't I be able to prime up gas to the engine even if the lines are bone dry? I'm hoping it's that and nothing more sinister. Any thoughts what could be happening?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
An air leak would create them issues. If the leak is before the primer, that would explain why it wouldn't prime.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did you set it up yourself? If a dealer or mechanic set it up for you they should have ensured it was propped correctly and running good before giving it to you. The dealer is wrong about the prop, pitch can make an enormous difference in max rpm. I have the 1999 version of that same motor, I tried a new prop that had slightly more pitch and some cup to it, and it brought max rpm down by around 2000rpm. Went back to the standard Honda prop. On a 17' Boston whaler Montauk, with just me in the boat it will pull right past 6000 and tops about 32mph. With the boat loaded, 6 people, I get about 5800rpm and 25mph approximately. What boat is yours on?

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. I did NOT set it up myself. I had to have them do it so the warranty would be honored. It's on a 15' Arima Sea Sprinter. The service manager is supposed to call me today so we can get this resolved, I'm just hoping it's not more money out of my pocket...shouldn't be.

Note, I pumped up the bulb with the connector OFF the engine and left it over night. This morning, the bulb was still hard..so I don't think there is a leak on the gas tanks side. I did notice when I had the connector hooked up to the engine, the bulb would go soft over time, but I''m not sure if that's a tell tale sign...my other 2 strokes would need to be reprimed and they ran fine.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You should prime engine with arrow on bulb facing upward, will prime better and much faster till firm, don't forget to open tank's air vent...

Happy Boating

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
Yup, I tried that too. Didn't make a difference until I disconnected the hose and manually pushed in the silver ball on the connector. I checked the vent too, it's always open...I was hoping it was something simple like that. :(

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's really odd to me that your max rpm is so low, something is really off. Even with the boat completely stalled in the water, such as a dead start with a wakeboarder behind the boat, the engine jumps right up over 3000rpm before the boat is even moving. So either they really screwed up selecting a prop, or something is amiss with the motor.

I've had mine since I bought it new in 1999 and it has been fantastic, so I think you'll really like it once you get it sorted out.

Last edited:

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
Well, they are going to check it out tomorrow and let me know. They are hunching it's my gas tank or fuel filter as those are the only, "old" components in the gas line chain. I'm skeptical tho...however, both the filter and tank used to run 2 stroke oil and gas as I had a 2 stroke. Maybe that's gunking up the lines..but I'm thinking not. I'll update either way...

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
So...I got the boat back from the dealer. They didn't find anything. They even took it out for a water test and they didn't have the problems I had. Not sure what happened? One running theory is that the fuel connector to the engine wasn't on completely so the engine was getting starved. I guess we'll find out when I'm able to run it again. Thanks so much for the help and suggestions, hopefully this was a one time deal.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
FWIW, I've bought two new Tohatsu's and they both came with a fuel tank. Surprised Honda doesn't do this.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
So did the Tohatsu's:) Today the 30 and below come with a tank, the 40 and larger do not.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Those motors have very few issues. If the fuel system was not properly primed it would exhibit the problems you were having, basically just running out of gas. You probably did most of the work for them already.

On these fuel injected motors the fuel ball will not stay hard, that is normal.