Tohatsu 9.9 makeing high pitch sound in the remote throttle.

keith23464

Cadet
I have a 2003 Tohatsu 9.9 4 stroke outboard with remote. Recently it has started making a high pitch sound from the remote when I am in reverse or going forward. I thought that it might be a warning about the impellor or temp but the impellor is pumping water out of the tell tale hole at a nice rate. Any ideas?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The pitch sound is from the prop or the remote box, does disconnecting the remote cables solves the sound issue ? Does the engine accelerates from idle to wot evenly, misses, lacks power at some throttle setting ?

Happy Boating

keith23464

Cadet
The sound is coming from in the remote box. It is like a sound that a golf cart makes when you put it in reverse. I was not sure if this was supposed to make that sound in reverse and now it is doing it in forward and reverse by mistake. The engine appear to run fine on all accounts though,

keith23464

Cadet
I looked but can't find anything in the instruction manual about a high pitch whine. It sounds like you would hear when backing up a vehicle but it does it on forward and reverse.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It won't be called a "high pitched whine". Look for warning horn, beeper or buzzer, something like that.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Would that condition be a hiss instead if a whine, have never heard doing so in the control box, but rather on the carb at idle, fast idle. Disconnect gear cable from engine, start engine, engage forward gear with hand and accelerate with lever, the sound remains ??

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
What is your actual model? 4 strokes can have a warning horn for low oil pressure.