89 force 85 HP running like crap PICS

bearcave86

Cadet
Yesterday after a couple hours of fishing my boat started coughing and had a slight miss. I limped back to the marina and when i docked the boat to get the truck it became hard to start and every time I put the boat in gear it would die. I brought the boat home pulled the carb cover and noticed excess fuel leaking out of the carbs. I also noticed excess fuel leaking out of what I believe to be weep holes. I have recently cleaned the carbs and set the needle at 1 full turn from lightly seated. The only thing I haven't check yet is compression besides using my finger. I have a gauge coming in the mail. Today i pulled the spark plugs( see pics) cleaned them off reinstalled them and the boat fired up on the first start. I even put the boat in gear and it went in without a hitch. Where is a good place to start trouble shooting. Im ready to go fish again.

As always thanks for the help

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The steps I do: FIRST, a compression test, then a spark test.
Then I check the fuel pump and make sure it's pumping.(install a filter between the carb and pump).
If it has fuel coming from the front of the carbs I remove the carbs and check the reeds.
Clean the carbs.I use Dawn dish detergent. Rinse with fresh water and blow dry with compressed air.
Reassemble dry no silicone or sprays.It gums them up.
You can use carb cleaner on the nastier stuff.

bearcave86

Cadet
How exactly do i check the fuel pump to ensure its working? Are the plugs suppose to be this wet it seems a little excessive. Im getting spark on all cylinders, I have not checked the reeds yet ill pull the carbs off and take a look. I already have a filter between the tank and the pump. This little motor just never seems to be quite happy. Thanks

foodfisher

Captain
If your fuel pump starts to disentegrate or the fuel lines, the carbs are not protected from the debris. A clear inline filter before the carbs will catch carb clogging debris and allow you to observe fuel flow / pump output.

bearcave86

Cadet
honestly I'm not sure on the spark plugs I assume they are original plugs. They cleaned up pretty good so i kept using them. Ill move the filter to after the fuel pump so I can observe the flow.

bearcave86

Cadet
Got her fixed the jets were the problem. It finally runs as it should I even had it up to 43 mph today. Fastest I've been able to go was 25.

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got her fixed the jets were the problem. It finally runs as it should I even had it up to 43 mph today. Fastest I've been able to go was 25.

Did you just clean the carbs or did you re-jet it to different sizes? That is a hell of a gain in speed. You have peaked my interest.

Last edited:

Jimbo82

Cadet
I'm having the same problem with my 85hp force motor.but I can only get to 20mph.feels.like the motor is revving crazy just doesn't Wana go....What did u mean by really jeting.im.interested. this is my 1st boat.thanks

bearcave86

Cadet
I didn't re-jet anything, all I did was pull the carbs off to clean them. When I took the fuel bowl off my jets just fell out. They should thread into the carb and I believe there should be a spring that keeps them from backing off (I could be wrong). Anyways I took a ball point pen spring that I cut into 3 sections and placed it under the Jets so the fuel bowl bolt will keep tension on the spring which should keep the Jets from backing out. I moved my fuel filter to post pump and replaced my fuel lines. That's all I did to fix mine. Runs great so far.

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't re-jet anything, all I did was pull the carbs off to clean them. When I took the fuel bowl off my jets just fell out. They should thread into the carb and I believe there should be a spring that keeps them from backing off (I could be wrong). Anyways I took a ball point pen spring that I cut into 3 sections and placed it under the Jets so the fuel bowl bolt will keep tension on the spring which should keep the Jets from backing out. I moved my fuel filter to post pump and replaced my fuel lines. That's all I did to fix mine. Runs great so far.

Thanks for following up. That is great news it was such a simple fix for you and your engine is running better.

Diesel41

Cadet
This is really great to see, im going to try the same thing to see if it I will fix my boat. To take the carbs off, did you you have to remove the connector rods for the reeds? it looks like the bolt is right behind that rod.

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You don't have to mess with the reeds to remove the carbs. There are 6 nuts
holding the carbs on and you will need to undo the cotter pin that holds the choke linkage on. The choke linkage is on the top carburetor. Be careful when taking that linkage off because there's two tiny O-rings and a tiny washer that can get lost easily. I would suggest you buy a manual like a Clymer. And don't make the mistake I did today and screw up the choke putting it back together.

This is really great to see, im going to try the same thing to see if it I will fix my boat. To take the carbs off, did you you have to remove the connector rods for the reeds? it looks like the bolt is right behind that rod.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Jimbo, you should start another post. adding it to another's won't get it seen by all the guys answering.
But it sounds like the props hub has spun.
Post there and you'll get lots of help.

Bear, some of the carbs DID have a spring in the carb.
If they just fell out then maybe a bit of Locktite?

Last edited: