Force 50 HP Powerhead Compatibility

jjgrays7

Recruit
I am new to the forum and am curious if anyone can help me determine if a 1990 force 50 hp powerhead will be able to mate up with my 1988 force lower unit? My 88' threw a rod this weekend and I'm now investigating options. I would also be interested to understand how major of a project swapping powerheads would be? Thanks in advance for any input.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The block has the same mounting bolt pattern. It is not too difficult to swap although the match plate does tend to get stuck on the mid leg. It can be frustrating to break it free. The ignition system MAY be different so try to get a complete block with ignition. You will need to remove the carb because there is a front motor mount with hidden bolts

Only hand tools are necessary. However, a flywheel puller and torque wrench are needed.

If you have never done it before, it can feel daunting but after doing it once you will be quite at ease if you ever need to do it again, for yourself or for another person.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome.
They should swap without too much trouble.
They made some changes in the mid section but the head mounting gaskets the same.

Swapping heads isn't a big deal.
Take pics, LOTS of pics.
On the search function. Put in 50 hp. power head removal.
There are a couple of hard to remove bolts.

jjgrays7

Recruit
Thanks for the quick responses. Based on your comments and the addtional info from the other threads I'm going to give this a try. Before I buy the 1990 replacement powerhead I'd like to do a few tests to help guard against inheriting another issue. Besides a compression check, would you have any other recommendations? Thanks again.