'94 Mercury FORCE 120 frayed battery cables

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed the battery cables going into the motor are serious frayed from years of vibration and rubbing against the steering cable, in fact the insulation is worn through on one cable and bare wire is showing! I know it dangerous, so I want to replace these right away. Are these a Mercury Force part or are they an easily available and replaceable after market part? Are they difficult to connect inside the motor?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I replaced mine when I rebuilt my motor last year. They are easy to do. Remove the engine cover and follow the wires to the engine. Take a picture so you can remember which goes where. Stuff a rag under the work area to catch any parts you might drop. Remove the cables starting at the battery. Take them to an auto parts store so you get cables with the right fittings on each end, and the right length. It's good to get red and black if they have it. If you have to use two of the same color, put obvious marks (e.g., colored tape) on them so you can distinguish between positive and negative at a glance.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I replaced mine with good quality heavier gauge after market marine grade battery cables. Very easy to do if you can turn a wrench. You can purchase pre-made cables from various marine stores. Just measure your current length and order.

Just don't go over board with the heavier gauge. The heavier gauge wire is thicker. There is a fitting with a hole in your motor that the cable has to go through. Too large of a diameter cable will mean you have to drill the hole bigger.

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks a lot. I removed the motor cover and see where they connect now. Thanks again!