Force 50hp cooling issue after rebuild

Ahill11

Cadet
over heated at one point Completely rebuilt engine. has new impeller, pulls water great, runs fine good compression only one problem.

after running, water began to leak from the exhaust port (I didn't take that off so old gasket was on it) then I replaced both gaskets. Water leaked a little so I tightened it and it was fine. however now the water is being diverted into the cylinders. [if I let the water spray from the exhaust port it runs like a champ, however I am sure its not adequately cooling the engine]

All I can think of is either it is getting into the cylinders from the head gasket or being pushed through the exhaust port somewhere and splashed into the exhaust port some how. Also I have no telltale or water stream. would a head gasket leak or a clogged exit port for the water cause this? I make sure head and cylinder passages were al clear when it was apart..

Anyone have any input or suggestions? Im running outta summer!

thank you

Last edited:

nation99

Cadet
I have 96 40 hp force that overheated on me a while back. Alao had water getting into the lower cylinder. Replacing the gasket on the plate on the port side of the motor solved the problem. Kind of a tough place to work, so I suggest using some adhesive to hold the gaskwt in place during reassembly. I didn't the first time and had to do over. Good luck.

Ahill11

Cadet
I had it off twice already.. It is a pain. What adhesive did you use?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ahill - Please do not post in old threads as you have done several times. You have this thread going, the answers will be supplied here. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page about old threads. Thanks.