85 force engine, no power in neutral position

Frank79

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1984 bayliner Capri 16 foot with the 85 force engine on it. We restored everything on it but when we tried to start the engine there was nothing. The choke I can here the click so I know it's getting power. If you put the boat into gear, then it will turn over. It's got something to do with the shifter, but what?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Look on the side of the engine where the control cables and fuel line enter. Near the bottom carb is where the shift cable attaches to the shift linkage. There is a brown neutral interlock switch which denies power to the start solenoid unless it is depressed Check the control cables to be sure that the correct one is attached to the shift linkage and then check that in neutral the white button is depressed.

To double check, disconnect both cables at the engine. Move the control handle about 1/4 of its travel. The first cable to move is the shift cable.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The black switch has 2 yellow/red wire to it.
When in N the switch's white button should be pushed in by the cam on the shift linkage.

Have someone turn the key to on and then watch the choke as they push in the key.
The choke can make a clicking noise and still not operate the choke correctly.
WD in the choke and operate it 6-7 times to free it up.
Then make sure the choke plates are closing all the way.

Frank79

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help guys! As it turns out I was screwed over by a 25 year old mechanic. Frank, if you recall this is the same mechanic that was replacing some side mounts in my force engine. He didn't know what he was doing,( even though he attended the mercruiser school,) broke the bottom bolts trying to remove the lower shock mount. So he disconnected everything going into the engine and tried to jack it up to remove the bolts. He never put the cables back in properly and that's exactly what the issue was! Took about 5 minutes to adjust that and was good to go. An older mechanic,( darn good one,) also noticed that the bolts the other guy broke, he never replaced them. So I'll have to wait till the end of the season to fix that and go slow in reverse in the time being