1994 Force 150 HP - Stalls out when in idle and when shifting into forward or reverse

Smokinhamms

Recruit
We're guessing it's the carburetors. Also sounded off the overheat alarm. Does anyone know how many turns to turn out after tightening down the carb screws and the same with the idle? I'm completely new to boats and know jack about fixing them! Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited:

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A little more info would help. Is this motor new to you? Did it run ok until recently, or is this how it was when you got it? Given that you "know Jack" about it, do you plan to do all the diagnosis and repair yourself, or only if it can all be solved by turning a screw or two?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Stalling when put into gear is due to a low idle speed. FIRST check the plugs to be certain they are not fouled. Then if clean, set the idle speed using the idle stop screw near the bottom of the timing tower Idle speed should be 700-750 RPM in forward gear in the water. If you don't have a tachometer set it until you get a CLUNK when put into gear. If it CRASHES or sounds harsh, the idle speed is too high. Watch my video at the top of the forum.

Low speed needles are usually started at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. However, since you admit to knowing jack , please don't mess with the carbs You can do major damage to the engine.

Smokinhamms

Recruit
HotTommy - Just bought the boat with the motor on it. Dude said everything is fine. Obviously, he'll be struck by lightening at some point in his life! LOL We are brazen, and try to learn and do the repairs ourselves. Other forums said it should be an easy fix by adjusting the carburetors and idle, but I just don't know what the standard carburetor spec is for turns out after snugging down.

Frank Acampora - The guy that had the boat before us did put the incorrect plugs in. Boat is a 1993 Bayliner Capri w/ a 1994 the Force 150 hp. He put NGK BUHX in, found out it should be the NGK BUHW. It was also smoking a bunch, so we think he put in standard 2 stroke oil, instead of Marine grade. There is no RMP tachs on the boat, so we'll have to try your clunk theory. I can't find the video at the top of the forum. Do you have a pic of where the idle stop screw is?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Click on Force and Chrysler outboards. Then click on the yellow colored sticky at the top: Carb and timing tutorial.

Last edited:

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
This is the idle adjustment screw on my 1994 70HP. I would imagine yours would be near identical in looks and location.

86618d27-3241-49ea-afd0-1a5480b5b2b3_zpskazil42d.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
There is not very much difference between BUHX and BUHW they are slightly different heat range. Better to use the one specified but in a pinch either will do.