1991 120 force starter issue

KrazyAlaska

Cadet
So I just bought a 1991 Capri. The starter is new. When I bought it the starter would stick occasionally. So I dry lubed it. Now for whatever reason when it engages the shaft spins and the gear sits still in the fly wheel. There is a nut at the bottom side of gear but doesn't seem to snug up like I think it should. Has anyone had this problem?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The nut on the bottom is not really a nut and doesn't tighten or loosen anything. The bendix has a rubber insert which when compressed supplies cushioning and friction when the starter engages the flywheel ring gear. It sounds like you got some lube inside on the rubber and now it slips. You don't have too many choices: You can try to clean the rubber by removing the bendix but it does not come apart or you can buy a new bendix for around 35-40 bucks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The fact that starter bendix is supposed to be pushed back down when the engine starts tells me you have something either sticking OR need some shims to back the starter gear back from the teeth on the flywheel a little. Do what Frank suggested by cleaning the rubber part and also look how tight the bendix gear teeth are to the teeth on the flywheel as well. If they are really tight fitting, you may need a shim or two...

KrazyAlaska

Cadet
Thanks!! I am sure I sprayed WD40 in everything when cleaning it. That makes perfect since why it would be slipping. I will try some such soap to see if that will cut the lube. If not I'll get a new bendix. Thanks for the feed back. I'll let you know if the dish soap works. Maybe a degreaser?

KrazyAlaska

Cadet
So soaking it in purple power seemed to do the trick. But now a new problem has risen. So I think my starter ground to hot wire for a sec or 3. Don't really want to go into detail. Let's just say stuff happens. Not sure as I didn't see any sparks. But the starter felt extremely hot. Now I only get a clicking when I turn the key. I did pull starter and it fires from the battery.

Last edited: