85 hp force high voltage DC

tommyboat

Recruit
Have 85hp force getting 13.5 to 14 VDC at idle and 15.5 or higher at full throttle. Replaced rectifier and battery is ok. Any suggestions?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That is what all the Force unregulated engines run. You may be able to buy an aftermarket regulator at the local electronics supply store.

If you do a lot of cruising check your battery water frequently.

tommyboat

Recruit
Would you suggest adding a voltage regulator or simply ignoring it and watching for battery fail? If its normal I'm suprised. I'm new to boating and do not want to ask for it out on the lake!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
It will not cause the battery to fail. all that will possibly happen is the battery will overcharge and boil off a little water. On my unregulated force engines I check the battery about once a month or so. Incidentally: I have a solar powered trickle charger and it runs about 17 volts in full sunlight..

Just run your engine and have fun.

tommyboat

Recruit
Thank you very much. I was looking at replacing the stator but I knew it wouldnt have changed. I will keep a 2nd battery on board and alternate them. I may try a voltage regulator I found on ebay later. Do you know what the resistance should be on the stator windings? Thanks again