Why I gots 2 different cylinder drain reed plate covers?

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I picked up a 125 HP Force, 1989,

I bought it knowing it was leaking from what I now know to be the cylinder drain cover. The guy said he put a homemade gasket in there, and cracked the cover. "No problem," says I, "I gotsa parts motor at home!"

Well, as it turns out my parts motor (a 1987) has entirely different assembly and cover. My 1987 has a cover with a vent tube, that sits on top of a gasket, that sits on top of the drain reed plate, that sits on top of an even thicker gasket. (Items 35-44 here 27.png

The 1989 motor has cover (maybe with check valves inside it?), that sits on top of the guy's homemade gasket, the sits on top of a thin (torn!) gasket. Here's a coupla pics; my older cover is on the left.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

All the parts diagrams I've looked at only have the old style covers and gaskets. Even on eBay, I only find the old, vented style.

1) Am I missing a component on my 1989 motor?
2) Where can I go for gaskets for the newer component? The bolt holes don't line up to use the old one from my parts motor. (The covers are all obsolete on both models, but my covers and reed plates seem fine; just need new gaskets for the newer style on the right.)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The newer is the "improved" style.
The old would carbon up and lead to piston failure. F686472 Gasket.About $4 each. You need 2
F429811 Screen goes in the bottom of the cylinder drain cover. About $.46 each. You need 2

They operate fine without the screen.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, Jerry. Y'know, the more I cross-reference parts on this engine, the more I think it either a) Isn't a 1989 or b) this is not the original powerhead. Model number is 1251A8C. Serial 1088. But that's just what the label on the "leg" sez. Who knows what's actually bolted on inside.....