76 Chrysler 60hp smoking when running

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
So I just got my motor running for the 1st time since I've had it and now when running it smokes like crazy and smells like it's burning oil a lot. I used a 50:1 ratio like I was told to use and I want to know if there's a way to get it to not smoke as much or at all when its running. Any suggestions? I have a can of sea foam that I haven't used yet but I don't know if it will work. Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Depends upon your definition of "a lot." ALL 2 cycle engines smoke when at idle but when running you don't notice because it is buried behind the boat. Now, If you used assembly lube or put oil into the cylinders before starting it will smoke like crazy until this excess oil is burned off. If you do a decarb with Seafoam, it will smoke more than you can imagine until the excess carbon and Seafoam burns off.

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks frank, by a lot I mean it's got a nice cloud when idling and when starting to accelerate in a test bucket. Haven't tried it on the water yet. I just don't know if the motor had been ran previously with the correct ratio of oil and gas but wanted to make sure that I'm doing all I can do to keep it running when I take it out this weekend without smoking others on the lake out and get it to the best that it can be being that it's almost 30 years old. I don't mind a lot of smoke with it sitting in my backyard if it's going to make it run better when I get it on the water. I've been reading up on it and they say to use the premium gas and synthetic oil to mix, does that sound correct? Thanks

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
NO, that sounds like an urban myth propagated by people with too much money to burn. Premium fuel simply wastes money and some additives in the fuel can actually cause harm.

Use regular pump gas--87 octane and Wal Mart Super Tech TWC-3 outboard oil. Mix one pint oil to six gallons of gasoline The engine will run very happily on this mix. It is all I ever put into my numerous engines. Don't worry about the horror stories you will hear about 10% ethanol.

Since my 50 on my 10 foot tunnel hull always runs wide open and at the top of its RPM range I run about 40 to 1 instead of 50 to 1.on that engine only.

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
I will make sure I get some fresh fuel and mix it up with that oil. Thanks again frank.

Tnstratofam

Commander
One thing to remember is your exhaust snout should be more completely submerged and stay that way when your boat is in the water versus when you're at home. Even with the leg in a bucket the smoke will be much more prominent than you might think. I was concerned I had a problem with our 75hp, but once I got to the lake and fired it up the smoke was like every other two stroke outboard I saw on the water. Very minimal.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Normal.
Since you just fired it up.
It's gonna burn all the extra oil and build up gunk.
Every time you squeeze the ball it pumps oil/fuel into the carb and the gas will evaporate some leaving the oil.
Get it running on the boat and burn the crud out.

Nordin

Commander
All two strokers will smoke alot if you run them in a barrel or at muffs in the driveway.
In the water the exhaust will be buried and remember that at idle the two stroker does not burn all fuel.

You have also played with your engine with a cylinder that did not fired. There will be alot of unburned fuel in that cylinder.
Try it in the lake and then look how much it smokes.