1970 Chrysler 3.6 HP outboard coil issue

matt laitres

Cadet
hey guys i just got this motor off a guy for 60 bucks and find out it has no spark. im trying to get the flywheel off to see if anything is visibly wrong bu i am having a hell of a time getting it off because of way it is positioned and also i am somewhat new to working on outboards so i don't know if it is worth working on /m diagnosing/ hunting down a 45 year old motor part/ and fixing or should i cut my $60 loss and keep it for a parts motor?

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
Just went thru a similar problem with my 76 60hp, turns out it was a trigger coil under the flywheel, not sure if it would be the same thing for yours but worth a shot. Have your tried a spark tester and made sure that the flywheel is turning when you try to start the motor?

matt laitres

Cadet
i have indeed i got one of the harbor freight light up testers and i also had my wife ground it to the block and i pulled it and she didn't scream and punch me so no spark =( i just don't know the " old outboard parts market" well enough to know if its worth trying to look for parts for it or if it will be to much of a pain

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
If your looking for parts they are out there but it may take some looking to find them, franz's marina has a huge selection at affordable prices with prompt shipping and Google the parts when your looking is also helpful. If you want to try and get it fixed one thing I would highly suggest is a repair manual from seloc. I wouldn't have any idea what to do without one and without the help of other members of the forum, ask the questions when they come up and hope for the best.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
First loosen the flywheel nut Leave all the threads engaged on the flywheel. The nut protects the flywheel threads. Wedge a tire iron or big prybar under the fltwheel where it can bear on the block without doing damage.. Press down HARD and smack the livin, beejeesus out of the nut. This should pop the flywheel off. Once the flywheel is off clean and set the points. Usually this is the only problem with an engine that has been laying around. I believe the 3.5 is air cooled with a water pump to cool the exhaust leg. It has a plain bearing rod. Use 25 to 1 gas to oil or 1 pint oil to 3 gallons gas. Do not invest a lot of money because the engine is only worth around 50 bucks.

matt laitres

Cadet
great work thanks guys for the help. frank i tried pretty much that but the only thing is there is a like odd bracket under the flywheel above the block so the only way to get a bar in is to go between flywheel and this bracket and the bracket isn't very strong at all and im 99% sure itll break if i stress it. ill load a pic to show you what i mean when i get back from work today. thanks again guys!