50 hp Force shifting problem

aps71285

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so i have a 50 hp Force motor that no matter how i adjust any linkage i can only get either forward or reverse gear. Im a mechanic but this motor is driving me nuts. I haven't pulled the lower unit yet but is there any thing in there that could cause this? When i get it to shift to forward gear then try reverse i only have to apply a small amount of pressure to get reverse like there isnt enough movement at the picot point. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

aps71285

Seaman Apprentice
Ok Frank. Sorry if i wasted your time, but i took the lower unit off and there was a piece of wire holding the shift rod on allowing alot of play in the linkage. I went and got a roll pin and all is good now.

J. Hoff

Recruit
I have a 95 force 50hp that runs great, idles smooth and i have no issues with throttle. however a few weeks ago I noticed while coming into the bay in the no wake zone my forward would slip in and out at the low throttle point. I have adjusted the linkage at the pivot point on the motor numerous times, this last weekend was really something to desire, first backed into water and had no reverse, pulled up and readjusted, backed back in reverse worked but after wife pulled trailor out of water realized i had no forward. backed boat up to a beachy area and turned it in and used the anchor to throw off and pull the boat in. readjusted again, barely have forward before RPM's climb but Reverse is at 2500RPM's before it engages. no matter what i try that is the best shifting points i can get. So aps71285 is that similar to what you had, should I remove my lower unit and look inside for the problem instead of on the linkage and cables?? or does anyone else have an another opinion. I love my pontoon and the motor runs great all things considered, don't want to spend 7k on a motor for a 20yr old boat that i am probably going to sell this fall and buy a newer one.

aps71285

Seaman Apprentice
Yes i think you should pull it and look. I now am having to put all bearings in the lower unit as it started doing what yours is and i pulled it apart in time to save the gears. Bearings were falling apart